Sears Craftsman Tools

Started by foakes, January 27, 2017, 05:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

As most of you probably know, Sears sold the Craftsman Brand to Stanley B&D a few weeks ago for $900 Million.

Sears has been experiencing serious business survival problems over the past 15 years.

They, Kmart, Land's End, and a few other stores are all the same company.

For a few years now, you could buy Craftsman tools at Ace Hardware also.

Anyway, some feel that Sears has entered a death spiral -- and this is just the first antique piano they tossed off the wagon as they try to cross the river of survival.  Likely Kenmore and Diehard will be jettisoned also -- as cash needs surface -- and more stores close -- since the other two major brands that are assets are Kenmore & Diehard.

Craftsman or Sears has never manufactured their own products -- they have always sourced excellent products from other manufacturers -- and put their name on them.  Very successfully for nearly 100 years.

What Sears has done -- is offer a decent, well made,  medium priced tool -- with a lifetime guarantee.

If a Craftsman tool fails, breaks, or does not perform -- just return it to Sears for an over the counter, no questions asked new replacement.  This has helped to keep Craftsman at the top of the tool game for nearly a century.

The new owners, as well as Sears (who will be still selling Craftsman products until they go out of business) claim that the lifetime guarantee will still be honored as part of the purchase agreement with Stanley Black & Decker.

And this is likely true -- since that is what they bought for just under a billion dollars -- reputation, proven track record, quality products, reliability, no questions exchange policy.

So it would make no sense for the new owners to dilute this guarantee -- for now...

Having said that, I had a few Craftsman tools I had laid aside over the last year that failed (a couple of 1/16" pin punches, and a 3/8" ratchet driver).  Yesterday, I returned them -- No questions -- just a pleasant return policy.

While I was there, I bought (3) soft Arrow dress pullover sweatshirts that were regularly $54 -- for 70% off + $13.05 additional in bonus points.  So they cost $11 each.  Love their bargains.

Anyway, if any of you have old broken Craftsman hand tools laying around somewhere -- in the garage, under the spare tire, way in the back of a drawer for 30 years, yard sale finds that are defective -- I would recommend returning them now for new ones.

Just my 2 cents for the day.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Your correct Fred and the warrantee cant be beat. We have been buying name brand appliances from Sears for quite some time now and they almost always seem to come up with the lowest prices.

I wonder if they restructured and modernized a bit and change their name, would it be enough to make them competitive again. I know Sears has been around forever but it just seems to me the name is well worn out.

................Lou

David Hall

They just replaced a $3,000.00 wall oven for me, $0.00 out of pocket for me.  It was 15 yrs old and the electronic control panel went out and could not be repaired or replaced, so whole new oven installed, hauled away the old one.
   When my wife and I were first married in the early 70's sears was the only place that would give us credit.
Many years Christmas was entirel sears.  All my hand tools are craftsmen, although as I got older and more financially stable I upgraded to the craftsman pro series of mechanics tools.  Most of my clothing for most of my life have come from Sears and I enjoy their great savings.  I better get down there and fill in my missing sockets, wrenches and what ever while I still can.  I'm aware of the struggles they have been having, like many big box stores internet sales have crushed them. 

Alto Mare

Their hand tools have always been good to me and I've never experienced any problem when returning them. most were screwdrivers.
I purchased corded drills over 30 years ago, used them often with no issues, they did eventually wear out but only recently.
I decided to replace those with the same specs and was only able to use them for one season.
I believe quality control went down and so did their product.
It's not cheap keeping up with quality tools.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

I still have a Craftsman 3/8" corded drill (Made in USA) that must be at least 30 years old. I don't use it much anymore but when I do it performs like the day I bought it. I still have many Craftsman wrenches and sockets that are in good shape, but I will go through my tool cabinet to see if I have any defective/broken Craftsman tools that need to be returned.
Thanks for the heads up.

Scott

thorhammer

Fred honestly when I heard craftsman sold I figured you bought out their hand took stock:)

foakes

They are a great store -- hope they stick around...

Miss their big catalog -- but I understand why that is not feasible.

For the last 30 years, their drills, routers, basically most of their power equipment has had motor, brush, gearing, and reliability issues -- and these are not guaranteed for life.

So I have switched over to Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Porter-Cable, and a couple of others -- with great results.

But their hand and mechanics tools are a very good value -- and hard to beat.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

OSH, Orchard Supply Hardware carries Craftsman hand tools too. I've seen mechanics in Sears with a bag of broken sockets exchanging them for new ones.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

foakes

Right, Mark --

OSH is one of the companies owned by the Sears and Kmart group.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Reel 224

I'm afraid that quality and US manufacturing has been a thing of the past fore one thing, also Sears could not keep up with the competition to spite there lifetime guarantees. In fact that was part of there losses over the years.

I hope the new leader will help turn that around,ie bring back manufacturing to the US and maybe it will bring back American pride. It remains to be seen. I could go on a huge rant about products made outside the US so called knockoffs, just look at the reel parts made outside the US. Yes the people here make some parts and after market parts but the lions share are made by others, meaning outside the US.

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

This thread reminds me that I need to go see if there are any deals on some tools, so I can put together a biat-dedicated tool box.  They have alot of discounts going at our local stores.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

CH

I for one still own, use & like my craftsman hand tools.
I also own and use a 30 year old Kenmore washer that still runs perfectly, a Craftsman air compressor, belt sander, a couple paint spray guns and likely other craftsman stuff if I look around.

I remember finding an old 2 blade pocket knife a few years ago that had 1 blade snapped off. It was a Craftsman brand knife. For fun I took it to Sears and set it on the counter and asked the salesman if Sears would replace it since one blade broke. Without hesitation the guy looked and could not find one like it. But he did find one almost like it but with 3 blades. He offered it to me instead. I accepted and still have the knife. Talk about service! :)

I still like the Craftsman flat head style of socket ratchet. I have other brands of tools but still always reach for the Craftsman ratchets and breaker bar. Just something about that style I continue to like.

Wonder if Sears ever sold a Craftsman fishing rod and reel? It would not surprise me if they did at one time.

Way back in the oldie days they sold everything under the sun, you could even buy an entire house from Sears. They offered different style kits or you could custom put what you wanted together. You could buy an entire Victorian style mansion if you wished and have it shipped in by rail to assemble yourself or hire to have it assembled. You'd be surprised how many homes were catalog bought homes.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

conchydong

Sears did sell their own branded reels. Not under the craftsman name. They were "Ted Williams approved". Not sure who made them for Sears though.

swill88

In the 70's & 80's I worked with a carpenter who swore by Craftsman hammers. About once a year his framing hammer 'would break' and he would trade it in for a new one. Made him happy!

By that time specialty framing hammers were being produced by Hart, Daluge,& others that were superior in use and made in the USA but with no guarantee. If I could afford it (sometimes) I would buy a replacement handle at the same time as buying the hammer. I still have a few of those handles & hammers laying around.

By the mid 90's titanium hammers were available and could shoot in nails faster and easier than ever before. A good framer with a balanced hammer can beat most framers with a gun all day long.

All my early tools were Craftsman and many are today. When I go visit my friend's carpentry workshop in Oaxaca, Mexico ALL his tools are Craftsman, He is quite famous locally and successful and can afford any tool but sticks with Craftsman.

Fred, I agree!

Steve

Swami805

Wasn't there fishing gear called J.C. Higgins or something like that? I had one of their pellet guns one I was a kid. I think they were made by someone else and sears put their name on them.
I have a bunch of Craftsman hand tools and I think I've only broken a ratchet. Good tools, hope they stick around.
Do what you can with that you have where you are