How do you pin a topic?

Started by steelhead_killer, January 29, 2017, 02:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

I want to be able to pin or mark a topic to retain it for later instead of having to search every time I need it.  I know you can mark it UNREAD but that is kind of clunky.  Some of the best material comes in threads that are not related to the subject.  So searching for it is useless.  Thoughts?  Am I missing something obvious, which is often the case....

Andy
><)))">

alantani

unfortunately, you can't.  the best thing to do is post something on a topic like "that's amazing" and then you can always go back and do a search for "your posts."  be aware, also, that the email notification system is all messed up.  we have basically overloaded the capacity for this free software to handle.  the next step would be custom software that would be thousands of dollars a year, and that's just not in the budget.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: alantani on January 29, 2017, 02:57:01 AM
unfortunately, you can't.  the best thing to do is post something on a topic like "that's amazing" and then you can always go back and do a search for "your posts."  be aware, also, that the email notification system is all messed up.  we have basically overloaded the capacity for this free software to handle.  the next step would be custom software that would be thousands of dollars a year, and that's just not in the budget.   :-\

Is there any way we (us users) can reduce the overload?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 29, 2017, 05:06:06 AM
Quote from: alantani on January 29, 2017, 02:57:01 AM

Yes. We can start deleting old posts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

that actually may not help.  i think the problem is the traffic, not the stuff that is archived.  we're bouncing between 1.5 and 2 million hits a month.  several hundred of those every day are bots and bogus registration attempts.  those won't go away.  as long as we are on a shared server, we will continue to have problems with speed.  i just don't have the budget to go with a dedicated server.  but back to the subject of pinning a topic, just post a smile or something and you will always be able to find the post later.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

For what it's worth...this site is the fastest and easiest responding site I use. Some sites I get on are painful...almost unusable. Like Alan said, your list of posts on your profile page is a great way to find threads you want to use. The only drawback is if you gab a lot(like me) things can get shuffled back fast. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Quote from: mo65 on January 29, 2017, 03:36:32 PM
   For what it's worth...this site is the fastest and easiest responding site I use. Some sites I get on are painful...almost unusable. Like Alan said, your list of posts on your profile page is a great way to find threads you want to use. The only drawback is if you gab a lot(like me) things can get shuffled back fast. 8)

Adds and popups constipate my old computer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelhead_killer

Ok thanks everyone for the ideas. 

Andy
><)))">

SoCalAngler

If you find something you want to keep for later reference you can also copy and paste it into a Word doc and keep it on your own computer.

If you don't want all the Avatars and such just hit the print tab at the bottom of the thread/page and copy that into a Word doc.

mo65

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 29, 2017, 05:44:35 PM
If you find something you want to keep for later reference you can also copy and paste it into a Word doc and keep it on your own computer.

This is what I was trying to do yesterday...but had no clue where to start. SoCal...can you explain this "word doc"?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SoCalAngler

Quote from: mo65 on January 29, 2017, 05:51:23 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 29, 2017, 05:44:35 PM

This is what I was trying to do yesterday...but had no clue where to start. So Cal...can you explain this "word dock"?

Microsoft Word document or whatever program you use for word processing/ typing letters and such.

I edited my post above a little.

SoCalAngler

When done it should look something like this.

Reel Repair by Alan Tani

Welcome! => Beginner's Board => Topic started by: steelhead_killer on January 28, 2017, 06:38:34 PM

Title: How do you pin a topic?
Post by: steelhead_killer on January 28, 2017, 06:38:34 PM
I want to be able to pin or mark a topic to retain it for later instead of having to search every time I need it.  I know you can mark it UNREAD but that is kind of clunky.  Some of the best material comes in threads that are not related to the subject.  So searching for it is useless.  Thoughts?  Am I missing something obvious, which is often the case....

Andy

Title: Re: How do you pin a topic?
Post by: alantani on January 28, 2017, 06:57:01 PM

Post by: Midway Tommy on January 28, 2017, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: alantani on January 28, 2017, 06:57:01 PM

Post by: Bryan Young on January 28, 2017, 09:21:19 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 28, 2017, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: alantani on January 28, 2017, 06:57:01 PM

Yes. We can start deleting old posts.

Post by: alantani on January 28, 2017, 10:57:41 PM
that actually may not help.  i think the problem is the traffic, not the stuff that is archived.  we're bouncing between 1.5 and 2 million hits a month.  several hundred of those every day are bots and bogus registration attempts.  those won't go away.  as long as we are on a shared server, we will continue to have problems with speed.  i just don't have the budget to go with a dedicated server.  but back to the subject of pinning a topic, just post a smile or something and you will always be able to find the post later.   :-\

Post by: mo65 on January 29, 2017, 07:36:32 AM

Post by: Keta on January 29, 2017, 08:46:04 AM
Quote from: mo65 on Today at 07:36:32 AM

Adds and popups constipate my old computer.

Post by: steelhead_killer on January 29, 2017, 08:51:10 AM
Ok thanks everyone for the ideas. 

Andy

Post by: SoCalAngler on January 29, 2017, 09:44:35 AM

If you don't want all the Avatars and such just hit the print tab at the bottom of the thread/page and copy that into a Word doc.

Post by: mo65 on January 29, 2017, 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on Today at 09:44:35 AM

This is what I was trying to do yesterday...but had no clue where to start. SoCal...can you explain this "word doc"?

Post by: SoCalAngler on January 29, 2017, 09:54:09 AM
Quote from: mo65 on Today at 09:51:23 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on Today at 09:44:35 AM

This is what I was trying to do yesterday...but had no clue where to start. So Cal...can you explain this "word dock"?

Microsoft Word document or whatever program you use for typing letters and such.

I edited my post above a little.

philaroman

a few years back, I e-mailed links to some particularly useful posts, to myself...
now, I have no idea how I did that -- did we have & loose a "SHARE" option?  ???  e.g.:

**********************************************************************************
[me]@yahoo.com <alantani@yahoo.com>  10/19/13 at 4:52 AM
To   
[me]@yahoo.com
Message body
Dear philaroman,

I want you to check out "Reel seat repair" on Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tani. To view it, please click this link:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8398.0

A comment has also been added regarding this topic:
Reel seat

Thanks,
philaroman

**********************************************************************************

mley1

You can copy the url and paste it into an email to yourself. Then save them in a file in your email system. This way all the threads you want to follow will be in one convenient place, and easy to access. Label your email with the topic title. Label your file with Alantani.com.
Good luck fishing,

Marty