ABU/Zebco Cardinal 4 Experience

Started by Midway Tommy, February 01, 2017, 03:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 18, 2017, 05:41:41 AM
Les is a class act.
I received two aluminum spools from him yesterday.
I don't plan on fishing these Tommy.
New in the box they will stay.
Picked up a really nice C5 today.
The ones I fish are the original Zebco's.
I notice a lot of the exotic models. 33, 44 express and 3E are selling from the other side of the world.
Bulgaria, Malaysia, Croatia, Germany and Japan. All high priced.
These 3 and 4 spools came from the UK in less than a week.
Better than most domestic sellers.

Yes he is! Very helpful and completely honest!

OK then, CONGRATULATIONS, it's official! You are now an ABU/Zebco fulcrum brake "Collector"!  8) I can see and feel it in your writings.  ;D  Enjoy !
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

Cardinal 3 Green Line, Brand New C5 and aluminum spool on my Zebco Cardinal 3.
Life is Good!

foakes

Those look great!

Daron doesn't mess around...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Nice C3 Score Today Tommy. ;)
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Quote from: Midway Tommy on August 18, 2017, 04:47:36 AM
Quote from: Gfish on August 17, 2017, 08:04:37 PM
Midway, or anyone else: what's the best source for the Zebco Card. 4 drag washers and the the click gear sleeve(part name?)? Both original washers snapped while I's testin the drag's high end. I fabricated my own with 0.5 mm c-tex glued on 2 sides of a 0.4mm metal washer(also my fabrication), but they got high spots 'er somethin, as the drag pull is intermittently soft, then harder.
Any ideas if I can't get nos, about how to fab. some.? At present the drag performance is unacceptable to my perfectionist self.
Gfish

I think you're talking about the click washer if you mean the plastic/nylon cog wheel part that the drag stack slips onto. There are 3 or 4 guys on eBay that sell Cardinal parts. They rotate their inventory/listings so if it's not listed today one of them may list it in a week or two. If I can't find a badly needed part I usually contact Les Shaw to see if he has it in stock or if he can get it. For some reason he usually comes up with hard to find parts, although they may be a little pricey. I haven't seen any Cardinal 4 drag washers or click washers listed for awhile, so that's a bad deal. Good luck.  

Finally got a full drag-set: click washer, fulcurm, washers(metal & fiber). Works much better now. You were right, just keep checkin E-bay. Usin it today, I forgot to turn on the anti-reverse and a big needlefish or barracuda skinned my knuncles good! Then as I flipped the switch and started usin the drag, it bit through the line! My only action today, pretty exiciting though.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bhale1

Wow Daron...tha one looks brand new!
Brett

Shark Hunter

Acquired a C4 Special edition last week.
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Lucky you! Those are fairly tough to find, especially in good shape. They also made a 3 & 4X Special, no 5, though.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

PacRat

Tom and/or Fred,
Is there a secret to removing the drag knob on a Cardinal 4 for cleaning? Mine seems very tight and I don't want to risk breaking it.
Thanks
-Mike

harryk3616

hi   mike,   the drag knob screw is reverse thread.    harryk

PacRat

Thanks...good to know before putting too much force on it.

AU7172

Hello Midway Tommy, I'm about to under take a thorough cleaning of a Cardinal 4 and your tutorial is just what I needed. Many thanks.

foakes

Tommy and Harry are very knowledgeable on these ABU/Zebco Cardinals —

They are amazingly tough and well built reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.