D.A.M. Quick 110N bail not tripping

Started by Steamboat, October 25, 2023, 03:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamboat

New to the site and to taking apart a reel but keen to give it a go. I picked up this 110N for $25 Cdn knowing that the bail wasn't closing when the reel was cranked. It otherwise looked to be in very clean condition. The bail spring appears to be in good shape and will trip when the manual trip button is pressed. When I take off the spool and watch the trip mechanism, it moves up and down when the bail is open and closed. In messaging with Fred, my main question is trying to figure out what is stopping the bail from tripping when the crank is turned? I think my next step is to look at what's going on behind the rotor. Thanks in advance to festus for the look inside a 110N and to Fred for his expertise.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Andy —-

The DQ 110N is the smallest of the 7 "N" series reels.

The bail trip is unique to these N's.

There are (3) springs that operate the bail return and the bail tension snap force.

Your 110N seems to be in very good condition —- although it still has the original German brown grease from the factory that puts the grease at nearly 50 years old.

At some point, that should be cleaned and removed —- all parts cleaned and burnished, then reassembled with modern synthetic grease and synthetic oil.

But for the bail not returning to the line retrieve position:

First —- remove the bail and check if the angle lever with the main bail spring is working properly.

Second —- if it is working, then we go to the opposite side of the bail to check the switch pin, compression spring, switching piece, brake ring.  Make sure this is able to be pushed in against the compression Spring easily.  If not, it may just need a drop or two of oil where the switch pin goes through the hole in the rotor.

Third —- make sure the silicone brake ring on the switching piece is in place and intact.

Fourth —- pull the rotor off to check underneath to make sure the triangle switch pin tensioning spring is in place with both ends in the holes on the switching piece.

It is easy to remove the rotor —- just pull the pin that connects the spool axle shaft to the oscillation slide —- pull out the shaft, and remove the rotor hex nut.  The rotor lifts off exposing the underside.  Don't worry, things are not going to come flying off at this point.  But this makes inspection easier.

My guess is that the lubrication is gone from the switch pin side, and/or the brake ring is missing.

Bail might also be tweaked enough to cause lateral resistance.

None of this is difficult.

But the reel needs a complete evacuation of the old grease, as well as a proper tune up to make sure all functions work crisp as new.

A couple of tiny parts may be needed, but I think just a good clean up, making sure the brake ring is in place, and proper lubrication will bring it back 100%.

Let us know how it goes.  And many of us on here can answer your further questions.

These are very high quality reels that will last a lifetime, and more.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fred posted while I was typing:

Are you missing the little brake ring (part #60) that goes on the switch pin (part #53)? The switch pin is under the rotor on the opposite side from the bail arm & line guide. It trips the bail. If the brake ring is missing the bail will not close.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steamboat

Looks like it's Step three and Part 60...
Thanks for the step by step and where to look. When I pulled the rotor off, I saw the two pieces of the brake ring on the inside of the rotor body. I've read elsewhere on the site of MacGyver solutions for this tiny piece of silicone/rubber or perhaps I can buy one from Fred? My next steps include finding a punch to remove the pin on the crank handle so that I can disassemble to clean and replace the original grease.

foakes

You found the culprit, Andy —

PM me your full name & address so I can send you a couple.

N/C.

I have hundreds of these new.  However, they are now as brittle as the one you found pieces of.

About 2 years ago I needed some of these for a few reels.  They were hardened and brittle —- and broke immediately upon installation.  So I could not count on them.

Went down to our Fresno Ag Hardware store —- talked to the guy behind the small gas repair shop counter.  He recommended these small silicon gas lines used on chainsaws and such.

Think they cost a buck or two for 12".  Bought 2 sizes.  Enough for maybe 10 years.

Before I did this —- I had the bright idea of soaking about 200 of these vintage but new ones in synthetic oil to rejuvenate them.  They broke even quicker.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steamboat

Much appreciated Fred. I've been going around the house taking things apart to look for something similar. Elastics for braces were too big, a faucet cartridge had several rings but not very pliable. I'll pm you my address and promise to update once the reel is up and running.
Thanks again - Andy

sandbar

Quote from: foakes on October 25, 2023, 09:33:34 PMYou found the culprit, Andy —

PM me your full name & address so I can send you a couple.

N/C.

I have hundreds of these new.  However, they are now as brittle as the one you found pieces of.

About 2 years ago I needed some of these for a few reels.  They were hardened and brittle —- and broke immediately upon installation.  So I could not count on them.

Went down to our Fresno Ag Hardware store —- talked to the guy behind the small gas repair shop counter.  He recommended these small silicon gas lines used on chainsaws and such.

Think they cost a buck or two for 12".  Bought 2 sizes.  Enough for maybe 10 years.

Before I did this —- I had the bright idea of soaking about 200 of these vintage but new ones in synthetic oil to rejuvenate them.  They broke even quicker.

Best, Fred

Nice save Fred and Tommy.
My money was on the tubing.
Beautiful reel Steamboat.
Tight lines.
-Steve

foakes

————————————————————-

Thanks, Andy —

Envelope addressed and stamped — just waiting for your mailing information.

Will be leaving for the P0 in 10 minutes.

Otherwise, later in the week, most likely.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I learned about 10 years ago to use the small PVC (vinyl) tubing for the ring when I picked up a NIB 1001 for $5 because the bail didn't work. Like Fred said, even the spare that was in the box was dried out & it crumbled when I took it out of the bag. I made about 100 of those little suckers out of a 2 foot piece of vinyl tubing I had laying around from an old project. The nice thing about the PVC tubing is it seems to last almost forever. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steamboat

Thanks to Fred and the other members for their collective wisdom. The envelope with the tiny brake rings was waiting when we returned from winterizing the cottage. The ring popped right on the switching piece and after replacing the grease on the gears, the reel was reassembled. The bail trip works perfectly! Looking forward to trying it out next year on Lake Scugog northeast of Toronto. Lots of largemouth bass along with a variety of panfish should be fun on an ultralight setup!

foakes

Those 110N/220N's are such fine reels.

Overbuilt, inexpensive, lifetime, and smooth.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.