D.A.M. Quick 265 Microlite

Started by foakes, February 01, 2017, 07:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Sometimes, you just got to take a break and build something for yourself.

So after dinner tonight -- I decided to treat myself

An old 265 Microlite has 75 parts -- so I pulled the needed parts out of the bins from 57 years ago to put together an old reel from new old stock parts.

5:1 high speed, bronze main, steel pinion, Yamaha grease, syn oil, metal spool, CF drag with Cal's, 4lb. Trilene XT, bagged and ready to fish.

Somebody stole the paint -- so it may be a little lighter now.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mhc

A new 57 year old reel! I'll bet there aren't too many people that could do that without buying any parts. You should treat yourself more often by making new reels out of those seemingly bottomless bins of parts  ;D - and share the results with us.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Nice little reel, Fred.
Things were made tough that year, I'm 57 ;D.
It is great that you are able to bring these old little jewels back to their original form and also nice to see that every now and then you do one just for yourself.
Enjoy it Fred!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gumpie44

Those Were Great Reels Back In Their Day, Are Still Just As Useful In Today's World, Glad You Respect Them And Do Your Part To Keep Them Going. I Collect And Use The Old Spinners As Well , Don't Like The Modern Throw-Away Stuff You Can't Find Parts For When They Are 3 Years Old. I Can Still Get Repair Parts For My Mitchell & Penn Reels  That Are 50 Years Old. I still Use A Mitchell 510 Reel That I Bought In 1972, I'd Say That Is Pretty Good Service Life.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Swami805

I like the metallic look, nice reel Fred.
Are those map drawers that you made dividers for?
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

Its a beauty Fred! Excellent work as always. An unused reel that's almost 60 yrs old, how can you beat that?
....Lou

theswimmer

Sal,
That is a good vintage.
We are the same age 😎
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Mike --

That is what I am doing now for members -- building these out of an old reel using any new parts necessary.

Figured I should use these parts to get some reels out into the world -- they do no good stored in bins.

Makes a lifetime reel with character -- IMO...stronger than a new one.

Have completed 12 so far in the last 6 weeks in between service, repair, and life in general.

Got 13 more orders lined up and ready for the build out -- Quicks, Mitchells, mostly -- all models.

Sheridan --

Those wooden cabinets are what watchmakers used to use to keep inventory of face crystals.  Now we just buy a watch -- and when the battery goes dead after 5 years -- just toss it and get the latest and greatest.  Another profession nearing extinction.  My uncle was a watchmaker for 45 years at Proctor's Jewelers in downtown Fresno.

Barry --

You should show everyone that Mitchell 510 with the special Conolan Rod.  Those are really neat -- especially the small, high speed 510.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Once again Fred, nice work, enjoy, know need to tell you Fred, but may interest others, a small bit of history
D.A.M. translates to- Deutshe Angelgerate Manufakur, in english-German fishing equipment manufactures founded in 1875 D.A.M quick fishi, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Sweet reel Fred! If I can ever stop spending my money so fast I want to have you build me a Quick. I'm thinking maybe you could mail that out to Ted for a serious spit-shine...I'm betting he could make it look like chrome. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SilverRidge

Very Nice reel Fred, really like my 265 Microlite,  X1 on the metallic look, it's really different, talking about the Dam Quick reels and how far superior they are to the spinnng reels on the market today, fishing with a buddy of mine other day he had an UL rig with a tiny pheluger president. The reel literally fell apart, first the covering for the bail mechanism had fallen off with whatever springs that made it function, it was all downhill after that, I would have laughed if it wasn't a good friend. Couldn't and wouldn't look him in the eye ..

Paul

CH

That Microlite sure looks good silver.

I bet it would really look sweet if you took the time to buff it out to a super gloss shine with a wheel and some polishing paste.
Not too many things that look as classy as really highly polished aluminum. Far nicer than chrome, stainless or silver IMHO.

Tempts me to strip one of my 110's and do just that.

I'll bet at the altitude you live you likely have native cutthroat to test it out on.

Lucky you :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

oc1

Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on February 02, 2017, 06:07:10 AM
Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve

Yep, exactly --

Anyway, this was just a quick and dirty little fun test project -- to see what it might look like -- as long as I had the parts not assembled yet.  I could have taken more time with the shining -- but it wasn't that important.

Just wanted to do something a little diffferent -- as well as strong and functional.

Sort of like the old bootlegger cars that started the stock car sport. 

A plain Jane, white bread, stock looking car -- with a souped up engine, suspension, and driver that could outrun anything chasing it.

This reel was just for fun -- maybe I'll do another in green krinkle paint like the old radios.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

gumpie44

:)I Bought This Mitchell 510 In 1972, "The Golden Age Of Spinning Reels", Has Been One Of My Favorites All This Time. Wore Out One A/R Dog, And A Red Rubber Bumper On The Bail, Other Than That The Rod & Reel Are As Purchased, Don't Think Any Of The Modern Reels Will Do That. Mitchell Only Made This 510 For A Short Time, Was Pricey, And Fishermen Like To Swap Reels To Different Rods. I Also Have Penn Reels That Have Been Just As Durable. I Enjoy This Site Very Much And The " Ohana" That Feel As I do About These Old Reels.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast