alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial D.A.M. Quick 265 Microlite
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 17, 2019, 05:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: D.A.M. Quick 265 Microlite  (Read 6511 times)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« on: January 31, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »

Sometimes, you just got to take a break and build something for yourself.

So after dinner tonight -- I decided to treat myself

An old 265 Microlite has 75 parts -- so I pulled the needed parts out of the bins from 57 years ago to put together an old reel from new old stock parts.

5:1 high speed, bronze main, steel pinion, Yamaha grease, syn oil, metal spool, CF drag with Cal's, 4lb. Trilene XT, bagged and ready to fish.

Somebody stole the paint -- so it may be a little lighter now.

Best,

Fred

* IMG_9374.JPG (2508.67 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 604 times.)

* IMG_9373.JPG (2173.27 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 199 times.)

* IMG_9372.JPG (1928.84 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 157 times.)

* IMG_9370.JPG (2176.17 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 230 times.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:23:14 PM by foakes » Logged

“A Smooth Sea Never Made a Skillful Sailor”.

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
mhc
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:38:17 AM »

A new 57 year old reel! I'll bet there aren't too many people that could do that without buying any parts. You should treat yourself more often by making new reels out of those seemingly bottomless bins of parts  Grin - and share the results with us.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:51:45 AM by mhc » Logged

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:58:37 AM »

Nice little reel, Fred.
Things were made tough that year, I'm 57 Grin.
It is great that you are able to bring these old little jewels back to their original form and also nice to see that every now and then you do one just for yourself.
Enjoy it Fred!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
gumpie44
Nevada Collector/Angler ?

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:18 AM »

Those Were Great Reels Back In Their Day, Are Still Just As Useful In Today's World, Glad You Respect Them And Do Your Part To Keep Them Going. I Collect And Use The Old Spinners As Well , Don't Like The Modern Throw-Away Stuff You Can't Find Parts For When They Are 3 Years Old. I Can Still Get Repair Parts For My Mitchell & Penn Reels  That Are 50 Years Old. I still Use A Mitchell 510 Reel That I Bought In 1972, I'd Say That Is Pretty Good Service Life.
Barry

Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast
Swami805

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:28 AM »

I like the metallic look, nice reel Fred.
Are those map drawers that you made dividers for?
Sheridan
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:35:46 AM »

Its a beauty Fred! Excellent work as always. An unused reel that's almost 60 yrs old, how can you beat that?
....Lou
theswimmer

Sierra Nevada

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:45:09 AM »

Sal,
That is a good vintage.
We are the same age 😎
Best,
Jonathan

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.

Clark Gable
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »

Mike --

That is what I am doing now for members -- building these out of an old reel using any new parts necessary.

Figured I should use these parts to get some reels out into the world -- they do no good stored in bins.

Makes a lifetime reel with character -- IMO...stronger than a new one.

Have completed 12 so far in the last 6 weeks in between service, repair, and life in general.

Got 13 more orders lined up and ready for the build out -- Quicks, Mitchells, mostly -- all models.

Sheridan --

Those wooden cabinets are what watchmakers used to use to keep inventory of face crystals.  Now we just buy a watch -- and when the battery goes dead after 5 years -- just toss it and get the latest and greatest.  Another profession nearing extinction.  My uncle was a watchmaker for 45 years at Proctor's Jewelers in downtown Fresno.

Barry --

You should show everyone that Mitchell 510 with the special Conolan Rod.  Those are really neat -- especially the small, high speed 510.

Best,

Fred

Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:17 AM »

Once again Fred, nice work, enjoy, know need to tell you Fred, but may interest others, a small bit of history
D.A.M. translates to- Deutshe Angelgerate Manufakur, in english-German fishing equipment manufactures founded in 1875 D.A.M quick fishi, cheers donnyboat.

Don, or donnyboat
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »

Sweet reel Fred! If I can ever stop spending my money so fast I want to have you build me a Quick. I'm thinking maybe you could mail that out to Ted for a serious spit-shine...I'm betting he could make it look like chrome. Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SilverRidge

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Very Nice reel Fred, really like my 265 Microlite,  X1 on the metallic look, it's really different, talking about the Dam Quick reels and how far superior they are to the spinnng reels on the market today, fishing with a buddy of mine other day he had an UL rig with a tiny pheluger president. The reel literally fell apart, first the covering for the bail mechanism had fallen off with whatever springs that made it function, it was all downhill after that, I would have laughed if it wasn't a good friend. Couldn't and wouldn't look him in the eye ..

Paul
CH

Lost in the sticks on the Ohio

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

That Microlite sure looks good silver.

I bet it would really look sweet if you took the time to buff it out to a super gloss shine with a wheel and some polishing paste.
Not too many things that look as classy as really highly polished aluminum. Far nicer than chrome, stainless or silver IMHO.

Tempts me to strip one of my 110's and do just that.

I'll bet at the altitude you live you likely have native cutthroat to test it out on.

Lucky you Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:20:55 PM by CH » Logged

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »

Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »

Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve

Yep, exactly --

Anyway, this was just a quick and dirty little fun test project -- to see what it might look like -- as long as I had the parts not assembled yet.  I could have taken more time with the shining -- but it wasn't that important.

Just wanted to do something a little diffferent -- as well as strong and functional.

Sort of like the old bootlegger cars that started the stock car sport. 

A plain Jane, white bread, stock looking car -- with a souped up engine, suspension, and driver that could outrun anything chasing it.

This reel was just for fun -- maybe I'll do another in green krinkle paint like the old radios.

Best,

Fred

gumpie44
Nevada Collector/Angler ?

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:50 AM »

:)I Bought This Mitchell 510 In 1972, "The Golden Age Of Spinning Reels", Has Been One Of My Favorites All This Time. Wore Out One A/R Dog, And A Red Rubber Bumper On The Bail, Other Than That The Rod & Reel Are As Purchased, Don't Think Any Of The Modern Reels Will Do That. Mitchell Only Made This 510 For A Short Time, Was Pricey, And Fishermen Like To Swap Reels To Different Rods. I Also Have Penn Reels That Have Been Just As Durable. I Enjoy This Site Very Much And The " Ohana" That Feel As I do About These Old Reels.
Barry

* DSCN0610.JPG (520.29 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 143 times.)

* DSCN0612.JPG (475.89 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 170 times.)

Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: