D.A.M. Quick 265 Microlite

Started by foakes, February 01, 2017, 07:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 02, 2017, 06:07:10 AM
Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve

They have some urethane clear coat now that won't yellow and peel as bad as lacquer, but it will still eventually wear down. That would protect the finish for awhile, though.

How about this thought, Fred? Get some Testors candy apple red & then clear coat it? That would look absolutely awesome on the little puppy!!  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Not a bad idea, Tommy --

Maybe a powder coat?

I have a couple of professional powder coating shops who just dip these parts in their vat for 5 minutes -- rinse, and hand them back to me while I wait.

When PCing -- we just tape the mating surfaces and threaded holes -- spray and bake.

Barry -- would these work for your 510?

If so, let me know and I will send them at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CH

Quote from: oc1 on February 02, 2017, 06:07:10 AM
Its hard to hold a shine on most types of raw aluminum without some sort anodizing or lacquer.  The surface will oxidize.  The oxidation is good because it is a protective layer, but it's not so shiny.  Lacquer doesn't hold up well and anodizing is it's own hobby.
-steve

That doesn't seem to be a big issue with the countless aluminum motorcycle parts I have polished and used over the years. It not like the oxidation happens over night and an occasional fast buff with a dry cloth keeps the shine nicely if not left sitting out in the elements in a dirty state.

On aluminum wheels and such as an example, a nice clear coat like polyurethane works nicely to seal and protect.

A highly polished reel would be for show display on a shelf or in a case rather than heavy use ( like daily salt water fishing). Anyway, it was just a thought, something different, and not something I would do or suggest to do on a regular basis.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

mo65

If you did paint or powder coat it, you can polish out the lettering on the side plate like I did this Pflueger 646.(flat black hot rod primer/bare aluminum lettering) Note it's mounted on the same Conolon rod as gumpie44's Mitchell!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Good tip, Mike --

That is also what I do -- just some emory tape and a small block of wood -- careful to only touch the raised lettering -- a few swipes and it it beautiful.  Best to wait a couple of days after painting so the under surface has a chance to cure.

BTW -- you really did an excellent job on that old Papa Foxtrotter!

Is the main bail screw backed out a bit -- or is that just a light shadow?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gumpie44

FRED,  That Would Be Better Than Great  !!!!! Spare Parts Are Hard To Find For This Reel, Most Mechanical Parts Are The Same As A 410, But A Few Are Exclusive To 510. Reels Are Pretty Rare Think Only Like 5000 Were Made, But The Reel Are Durable, So Some Are Out There,  It's The Special Seat Rod That Is Hard To Find In Decent Shape. Conolon Rods Are My Favorite, Guess Moe Likes Them As Well, Have Some To Match With My Mitchell Reels.  I was An Auto Mechanic For 50 Years, So I Know How To Take Care Of My Tools. Thanks Again For The Generous Offer Of The Mitchell Parts, You Can Send Them With The Daiwa 7250 Parts And Save Some Postage. No Hurry At My End.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

foakes

Yeah, you are right, Barry --

When these came out -- I was 18, couldn't afford or justify the expense.

And figured if I busted the rod -- and they were no longer available -- the reel would be an expensive waste.

And I was a few months from finding out if I was going to be drafted -- and head off likely to Vietnam.

So I prepared to go into the Air Force for 4 years, get an education, not end up in some jungle or rice patty 6000 miles away.  Filled out all of the paperwork with the recruiter.  When my draft number was 237 -- I did not have to worry about being drafted.  And if the war was still going on next year -- they would take ALL of the 19 YOlds -- then come back and start where they left off with 150 in my year.

Called up the recruiter the next day to tear up my paperwork.

Man, was I wrong -- should have just saved up for one of these unique rod and reel setups.

Youth is a steady teacher.

I like this setup -- the way it balances perfectly -- and the 510 and the smaller 508 size are something I hope to get someday.  Just takes a lot of green today.

Sending you (2) sets of bumpers, dog springs, and A/R dogs -- that way you will have a spare set.

Someday, these may be a lot harder to find as NOS.

They will go out after I finish up a 7250 for myself -- and send you everything left over for your reel.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Swami805

Hey Fred I remember the day they posted the draft lottery numbers and mine came up 2!  TWO! I couldn't believe it. The ended the draft shortly after that. Unlucky then lucky.
We were saving or nickels and dimes for truline and harnell rods with penn reels. The same only different.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Swami805 on February 02, 2017, 08:30:43 PM
Hey Fred I remember the day they posted the draft lottery numbers and mine came up 2!  TWO! I couldn't believe it. The ended the draft shortly after that. Unlucky then lucky.
We were saving or nickels and dimes for truline and harnell rods with penn reels. The same only different.
Sheridan

I was pretty nervous that day until mine came up #354. A big sigh of relief came out and I started resting easy after that! Quit college at the end of the semester and went to work. 47 years later I finally retired!  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: foakes on February 02, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
Is the main bail screw backed out a bit -- or is that just a light shadow?

If I remember right Fred...there's a lock washer under that screw. That was how I made that pickup stationary.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I had a low number but failed the cattle-call physical.  The only time I was glad to have a bum leg and the only time I regretted not wearing underwear.
-steve

Cubby1973

I have a 265 microlite and the shaft has a lot of play in it, at least 1/8". Is this normal or is the guide block or stud it rides on possibly worn? If you reel fast enough the spool hops. I've taken the spool off thinking something there was a miss, but you can pull the axle up and down the same amount.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Hi Jeff —

Check to see if part #100-391 (roller for slide) is missing from the brass worm wheel.

That would be 1/8" play — and the most obvious first check.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cubby1973

Good call Fred! No roller. Checked parts bin and floor to no avail.  Other than the play will this cause damage down the line? Also would it be a metal hard plastic roller?

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Check around in the grease, or inside the casing — loose.

If you cannot find it — I will send you one at N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.