Ohio Flathead Cat fisherman seeks advice on a Penn Project reel

Started by Chillydigits, February 04, 2017, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Quote from: TARFU on February 05, 2017, 06:37:17 PM
You might look at the Penn GS 555HS.....graphite frame, alum spool, Gear ratio can be changed via gear sets form 4.25, 5.3 or 6 to 1,  plenty of capacity 600/20 and a reported 17 lbs drag with the Versa Drag system.....about the same width as a 500 JM and a tad smaller in diameter......it's kind of a sleeper and not commonly found......Bill

Bill, after I wrote about the Jiggy, because we wants a project, my 545 / 555 came to mind as well....they will flat out sling and already have carbon fiber versa drags and double dawgs in them. They were my daily king mackerel reels and are tournament ready out of the box. And no cat ever out ran a king.

Chillydigits

According to tracking my "project" Jigmaster will be arriving in Mount Vernon Ohio this Friday... :)

thorhammer

good call. look at it this way...if you don't like it someone else here will take it off your hands :)

Benni3

Chillydigits

My new to me Jigmaster 500 arrived today, seems mechanically sound, no signs of corrosion, I will be ordering a tiburon frame.. stainless gear set.. narrow spool.. and a drag upgrade.. I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture of it. I will say it appears to have been cleaned and not regreased.

Never one to look before I leap, I picked up a Surfmaster 250 as well... It is very clean cosmetically, however it sounds like it has gear issues... It will stay in the box until I have my Jigmaster up and running..

Now I need to get some grease, oil, and anything else you would suggest to get started

Chillydigits

Ok let me try to post a picture..

RowdyW

Photo posted OK. The reel looks great. Good Luck with it.         Rudy

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

You have a nice one to start with, got photos of the 250?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Chillydigits

mo65

That's a nice reel too. Pop the side plate off and see what type of main gear you have...it might be a nice steel gear. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Keta

Both look like they are in good shape externally and not having to replace parts with rash will save you some $.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Bill B

Chilly, great pair of reels....good as is and only better with your planned upgrades.  You might check the thread on tools and lubricants, but I would be placing and order with
Mystic Reel Parts for the following: Cal's Drag grease for the drags, ReelX for the bearings, Penn Oil, and Penn Blue grease for corrosion protection and everything else.  The smallest sizes last me for months as I do not rebuild more than 2 reels a month.  And if it's in the budget one of Alan Tani's Penn wrench.  Don't forget to order carbon fiber drags and extra dog springs, as the springs tend to become UFO's when least expected.  

Bill

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer