FinNor Model N99 from 1957.

Started by TheReelShop, February 04, 2017, 05:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

My brother in laws reel. Its a FinNor model N99 from 1957. Tore it apart and decided to add a carbon drag in place of the old worn cork. This reel has a spacer instead of Bellvilles, but I don't have any bellvilles laying around to replace the spacer. Regardless, I'm happy overall with where the reel is at the moment. I believe we ordered the 1.5mm carbon sheet, and the 2 part loctite 330. That thing is expensive like Alan had previously said but man its strong!! The only issue here so far is th clicker. This is the second vintage FinNor I work on, and the clickers are always giving issues. Worn out, so I need a new one (which god knows if its around), or fabricate a new one (maybe a longer shaft). Other than that after shimming the reel, the drag engages. Heres some of the work.

THE OLD DRAG

REMOVED AND CLEANED OUT CORK

GLUED AND CUT OUT DRAG

ASSEMBLED!!! HAVE TO SPOOL THE REEL WITH LINE TO CHECK THE DRAG NUMBERS. ENDED UP SHIMMING THE LEFT SIDE FOR THE DRAG TO ENGAGE.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Excellent job..!!

You brought that old reel back to new heights.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Great job, Adrian --

Doesn't get any better than that --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

this level of work is about as good as it gets!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TheReelShop

Quote from: foakes on February 04, 2017, 06:03:34 PM
Great job, Adrian --

Doesn't get any better than that --

Best,

Fred
Quote from: handi2 on February 04, 2017, 05:57:45 PM
Excellent job..!!

You brought that old reel back to new heights.

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2017, 06:06:34 PM
this level of work is about as good as it gets!   ;D

Thanks alot guys!

FatTuna

Nice work man. What was your technique for cutting and gluing the drag washer?

TheReelShop

Quote from: FatTuna on February 05, 2017, 12:10:50 AM
Nice work man. What was your technique for cutting and gluing the drag washer?

This is what took a while. I first used a jigsaw to cut the circle. It came out ok but not professional. I wanted a professional finish. So I used a hole saw close to that size for both inner and outer. after, glued it to the platform and then with a circular sander/polisher, the edges were rounded off. Came out great. The two part loctite, the aerosol to the metal platform, and the other part rubbed on to the drag washer. I'm now working on being able to cut my drags out but perfect cuts. its been difficult because at least for me, I haven't found a good overall set of tools to do the job. I have a dremel and diamond hole saws but those go up to 1/2" only. The hole saw works too, but theres work to be done after!

foakes

Adrian --

Would a good set of dividers or a compass with a sharp point work -- to do repeat scoring?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TheReelShop

Quote from: foakes on February 05, 2017, 01:59:51 AM
Adrian --

Would a good set of dividers or a compass with a sharp point work -- to do repeat scoring?

Best,

Fred

What are dividers?

I initially tried that. I found it to be a bit discouraging because I felt nothing was happening. Maybe cutting a piece without a fiberglass core would work. I even switched it to a surgical blade and same result. I have been given several hole saws by my dad and so far it works but it does require some finish work.

redsetta

Fantastic work Adrian.
It's such a pleasure giving reels like this a new lease on life.
Did something similar a while back and really enjoyed the process (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3463.0)
Thanks for sharing!
All the best Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

Tightlines667

I have used a dremel with a router style depth attachment.  This would work better with a jig.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

Thanks for the info. The reel came out great.

TheReelShop

Quote from: thorhammer on February 06, 2017, 08:41:50 PM
Awesome job to a classic!

thanks!!!

Quote from: redsetta on February 06, 2017, 07:55:22 PM
Fantastic work Adrian.
It's such a pleasure giving reels like this a new lease on life.
Did something similar a while back and really enjoyed the process (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3463.0)
Thanks for sharing!
All the best Justin

thanks a lot really appreciate it!!

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 06, 2017, 08:42:49 PM
I have used a dremel with a router style depth attachment.  This would work better with a jig.

you have a pic? I ordered and used a diamond hole saws but its hard to center on my dremel press.