Mitchell 308s pinion removal

Started by 6mike9, February 04, 2017, 08:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6mike9

I have an old Mitchell 308s reel that was made in France. The anti reverse does not work. To get at the anti reverse dog and spring I need to remove the pinion gear from the housing. I've looked over the housing and cannot find either a set screw or pin holding the pinion assembly in place. Does anyone know how to remove the pinion so I can fix this reel.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Mike --

There is a tiny black keeper set screw on the handle side -- right at the neck.

Accessible easily with a micro screwdriver --

Usually hard to see until you know where it is.

If you need a schematic -- just let me know, and I will post one.

Show us the reel when you are done!

Really excellent and tough little reels.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here you go, Mike --

Lots of times either those are covered with grease and grime -- or my work glasses are!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here is the one you need for the 308S, Mike --

There is no screw -- instead there is a key at the bottom of the body housing neck.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.