best gasket compound for marine fuel tanks

Started by Donnyboat, February 05, 2017, 04:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, hope the new year has been good to you all so far, I smelt fuel in our boat yesterday, had reason to replace the cender in the fuel tank about 3 years ago, I was told to buy some special gasket compound for it , when I opened the tin container it came in it had set real hard, so I purchaced a hylomar aerograde gasket joining compound PL32, suposed to be resistant to fuels, have had it between the tank & gasket where the cender is, can someone tell me of the best compound & gasket paper to use, the sender came with a rubber type gasket that i thought was to flexible, but I did use it with the above compound,  thanks in advance, have a good year. cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

STRIPER LOU

Check the Permatex website. I believe they have what your looking for. Agreed, smelling gas on the boat is not good.
All the best,  ..  Lou

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Todd Jacobsen

Agee with Lou. On our race boats we use permanent only

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

Yes thanks men, I have sent a request to the peratex hot line, for them to recommend the correct compound, they will possibly get back to me AM Monday, tis 8:45 am in Western Australia- WA, now, thanks again cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi every one, have received a reply from Peratex techical sercices, ITW, they recommend there designed to be fuel resistant compound 85420, I also spoke to a local ship wright, he has been using a loctite 3- for many years with know trouble, he was very helpful, cleaned up the old gasket goo, and the gasket, plus the cender with acetone, then buffed the cender plate for me, could not be more helpful, so hope this helps some of you in the future, and thanks for all your quick replies, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat