Tuna Stick

Started by sharkman, February 06, 2017, 12:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Recently purchased penn tuna stick 50-100 rod. Anybody ever used the rod for bottom fishing?

bill19803

depends on  what you are fishing  for if it will  work well  or   not.  for  cod   a  bit over  gunned   for  goliath  grouper  probably undergunned.

sharkman

ReelFishingProblems

What reel is going on it?

sharkman

Not sure at the moment.  I have a framed 6/0 wide that needs a home, but the action of the rod makes me lend more towards a 4/0.

thorhammer

I have several with everything from 12LT's to 6/0 wide on them. They are ok for bottom fishing but 6' model is preferable to 5'6" IMO for holding bait out away from boat; not sure which you have. if you use braid to mono topshot, make sure whatever connection you use gets through the tip easily. That was the only drawback to me, mine have smaller size Aftco roller tips, which is my own fault for not switching out to a larger one. The 4/0 may balance better especially if you have 5.5 foot model, they weren't really designed to stand and hold for strike BUT that same feature is great for pumping up a grouper with max leverage.