Calais 201A spool bearings replacement

Started by lpquick, April 23, 2011, 04:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpquick

I am trying to remove the bearing from the handle side under the spool tension knob. Instead of a spring I see a plastic plate with a tab that petrudes up into the tension cap. How do I remove this and the bearing below please. I will thank you in advance as always your advice and insight i'm sure will save the day.   ???

Nessie Hunter

There are actually two white plastic plates with a metal Spool spring between them..
This metal spring keeps the spool in place, there will be a low spot on the spool shaft that it snaps into..

There should be a Metal Spring clip over the top piece..  Sort of a hex shaped light wire. 
Just use tweezers or a pick to take it out, Careful it doesnt take flight on ya.!!   Keep a hand over it or finger etc to keep it from going B O I N G ....

The White plates will then pull or push (from under side).  Dont think there is a up or down side to the plates?? Just sandwich the metal clip back between them when putting back together...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lpquick

I take it then it's not possible to remove the bearing on the handle plate from under the spool pressure cap. I guess I must remove the handle side from the main frame, because I can see the clip thru the opening under the spool pressure cap thru that plastic plate with the protruding tab from the hole the spool shaft fit into. I don't see any clip or hex shaped wire under the pressure knob which holds that plastic plate, which isn't white it silver metallic in color.   ???

Nessie Hunter

You are correct.  Also I was apparently thinking of older model Chronarch/Calais with shaft clip under the cap???

Here is Schematic.
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/05CL201A_v1_m56577569830570285.pdf

The cap contains the clicker for adjustment of spool tension.  The Bearing and White plastic etc I was referring to is only accessible from 'inside' the Side Plate....

Notice # 2023, 2024, 2023 (again) = (sandwich) & # 32 retaining spring...   This was on outside in older models, now it is accessible from Inside Cap only....  Along with the bearing...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!