On to the ABU/Zebco Cardinal 6 & 7

Started by Midway Tommy, February 10, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Hardy Boy on November 28, 2019, 06:20:42 PM
I would consider a trade. Do most of these spinners not have the "saltwater proof" sticker ? I thought it was kind of odd. The reel was purchased here in BC on the West Coast so maybe they added that for this market ?

Cheers:

Todd

The early ones all came with that decal on the rotor. They're not really "Saltwater Proof" but they are fairly Saltwater Resistant. They still need to be regularly rinsed and cleaned, and they will show the normal saltwater affects if neglected. The metal bail plate was a special saltwater feature that only came on that version. They are really nice reels for heavy freshwater or light saltwater.

The "6" is probably the least valuable of the 3, 4, 6 & 7, and not at all rare. In the condition yours is in it would probably bring $35-$45 unless it has the original box, pamphlet, extra spool and tool. Double + if you have those extras.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Here's my "TOTALY CORROSION RESISTANT"- 4. It came from the upper midwest. So I guess it was a sales point to claim this. Maybe they all came outta the factory that way?
I've got an Avet SX 6/4 MC w/P-pro on it, that sits in my car as a back-up. I dislike the way the pinion bearing can so easily get crunched by high sunset drag numbers(stated max. drag: 14lbs.). I recently replaced that and another bearing in it.
Think about it. The 6 and 7's seem to be 50 -100$+(good condition) on da bay and not real common. PM if interested.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Ok. Tommy and I were probably typing at the same time. Go with what he's talkin' bout.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I scored on a nice 6 a few days ago. It was clean as a pin when I unwrapped it, and it cranked very smooth and easliy. I was just about to consider it already restored, and then I heard the voices in my head...the voices of Tommy, Fred, and Sal: "Are you crazy? Open that reel!" Remember how Scrooge saw Marley's image in the door knocker? I swear I saw Tom in my parts tray! :D
   The first pic would make you wonder if the voices were right or not. Everything seems to be clean and recently serviced. But how well was this servicing? Move on to the second photo and note the inside of the rotor has sand and grime hanging around. Then a closer look at the gears reveals old grease mixed with newer grease...and some dirt and grit on the parts. Last but not least, the drag knob has obviously never been off, look at all that corrosion under it!
   I'm listening to the voices...and doing a total breakdown! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Nice score, Mike! You just proved never to assume anything on these older reels. It's pretty obvious that someone recently wiped a little of the grime off of the easily accessed engine parts.  ::) I'm surprised they didn't at least clean inside the rotor a little better. You did yourself justice by completely tearing it down. It will function like a new one when you get her all back together!  8)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on January 24, 2020, 06:22:38 PM
  I scored on a nice 6 a few days ago. It was clean as a pin when I unwrapped it.  Everything seems to be clean and recently serviced. But how well was this servicing?8)

Mike, good judgement on your part --

Many years ago, I learned --

No matter how clean a reel looks on the outside --

No matter how it was represented to me --

And no matter how lazy I might become sometimes --

With the exception of a handful of trusted expert sources on our site -- EVERY reel gets opened, every part degreased, reassembled, lubed with modern and fresh synthetic lubes, tuned, tested, adjusted -- before it goes in my personal arsenal.

For me -- that is where confidence in a tool starts.  Knowing that it is right -- capable -- and ready.

Unfortunately, either knowingly or unknowingly -- some folks try to get by -- by opening the sideplate -- squirting a little grease and oil in various spots so it is smoother -- wiping it down on the outside with WD40 -- and calling it done.

I have even seen many professional shops do this -- then charge a guy full price for a service.

Fairly common...

Trust your own skills and experience.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Alright, Mo!
Very funny (and somewhat obscure) reference with Marley and Tom's face appearing as warnings.
Lemme know if you're getting smooth drag at the higher settings, as I am getting some slight start-up stickyness on my 6.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on January 25, 2020, 05:13:11 AM
Alright, Mo!
Very funny (and somewhat obscure) reference with Marley and Tom's face appearing as warnings.
Lemme know if you're getting smooth drag at the higher settings, as I am getting some slight start-up stickyness on my 6.

You probably already know this, Greg, but if your reel hasn't been used for a day or so you should always test the drag by pulling a little line out each time you take it out. If they sit around for any length of time the washer surfaces have a tendency to sort of meld together, especially if the drag hasn't been loosened when they were put away. I pull & fine tune my drag every day, and usually check it multiple times each day.  

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

Great Job Mo. Those old Cardinal's were the Cadillac in their day.
I have collected many, the weak link is that Nylon that drives the oscillation.
It is just a matter of time.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Hey Mo, you and Chester are collecting some nice spinners, did you guys run out of room yet?🙂

Thanks for your hard but enjoyable work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Thanks fellas!
   I tore the reel down yesterday...got the bail all cleaned up and snappy...and flushed the pinion bearing out. I was counting my drag components and it appears I am missing the teflon washer that goes between the click washer and the main shaft bushing. No big deal...I'm sure I have something to sub in...but I noticed Tom used an extra one on the other side of the click washer...between it and the thin carbon washer. The schematic doesn't list that part...did you add it for smoothness Tom?
   I plan to experiment with the drag stack, maybe I'll discover what G's trouble is at higher settings. I intended to fish this reel after getting it tip-top, but reading all the troubles with that plastic oscillation block is making me gun-shy. I checked eBay for that guy who made the metal blocks...but like so many other replacement/upgrade parts...they never last long. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. 8)

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 25, 2020, 06:39:39 AM
Great Job Mo. Those old Cardinal's were the Cadillac in their day.
I have collected many, the weak link is that Nylon that drives the oscillation.
It is just a matter of time.

Manufacturers worldwide -- with a few exceptions -- have turned to plastic, nylon, and other resin based synthetics for manufacturing their products.

This is not only true with fishing reels -- but automotive, appliances, furniture, tools, and nearly everything else -- even zippers.

While the stated reasons may be smoothness and lighter weight -- the real reason is saving $$$ and ease of manufacturing.

Plastic, in Latin -- just means a cheaper and temporary substitute for metals.

Even this would not be as much of an issue -- except parts that fail are not produced or available for replacement -- which renders the entire item...a useless item --  but an effective paperweight.  Oh yeah, I forgot -- I also do not use as much paper any more -- so probably do not need that many paperweights.

I am grateful for folks who make better metal alternatives for key Tupperware parts that regularly fail.

Wish there were more of these clever key replacement products for other reels and products.

We have been programmed by corporations -- to live and get used to our new disposable product society -- all for their $$$ benefit -- not ours...

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2020, 11:38:23 AM
Hey Mo, you and Chester are collecting some nice spinners, did you guys run out of room yet?🙂

Thanks for your hard but enjoyable work!

Sal
Sal, we still have plenty of room.  Just haven't found a deal on a Cardinal yet.

Quote from: mo65 on January 25, 2020, 05:06:43 PM
Thanks fellas!
   I tore the reel down yesterday...got the bail all cleaned up and snappy...and flushed the pinion bearing out. I was counting my drag components and it appears I am missing the teflon washer that goes between the click washer and the main shaft bushing. No big deal...I'm sure I have something to sub in...but I noticed Tom used an extra one on the other side of the click washer...between it and the thin carbon washer. The schematic doesn't list that part...did you add it for smoothness Tom?
   I plan to experiment with the drag stack, maybe I'll discover what G's trouble is at higher settings. I intended to fish this reel after getting it tip-top, but reading all the troubles with that plastic oscillation block is making me gun-shy. I checked eBay for that guy who made the metal blocks...but like so many other replacement/upgrade parts...they never last long. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. 8)

Mo, is that Cardinal a Zebco or Abu?  I've never held either in my hands, but if it's as smooth as some of these one ball bearing Zebco spinners, I want one.

PacRat

The plastic oscillation blocks show up NOS on eBay from time to time. I have one but I'm afraid to use it because the nylon is slightly sprung open and I think tightening it into place may break it. With that said; I don't think it will be too difficult to reproduce from just about any material available. My first choice would be brass but aluminum or even some 'space-age polycarbonate' would be stronger than the original material. Just two holes and some shaping. I think several could be ganged up on a single bar of material to keep clamping and drilling straight. Then they can be cut apart and shaped.
-Mike

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 25, 2020, 06:28:37 PM
Mo, is that Cardinal a Zebco or Abu?  I've never held either in my hands, but if it's as smooth as some of these one ball bearing Zebco spinners, I want one.

It's a Zebco Cardinal Chester...and yes...it's a very smooth design. Some of the early Zebco spinners, like the Omegas and XBs were obviously influenced by the Cardinals.