Baitrunner 4000D help...

Started by Gulfshoresangler, February 11, 2017, 03:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfshoresangler

Hello all this is my first post in regards to a reel repair, please bare with me. 

I received a Shimano 4000D from my late grandfather and when I received the reel it was not functioning properly.  Here's my problem the reel is smooth and everything works great, but something is going on with  the handle.  I will twist it down tight but if the handle has any back play it comes loose from the reel.  I hope that makes since, I'm having a hard time "describing the problem"
Thanks!
James

philaroman

is this your 1st direct drive (screw-in handle) spinner?  if you're used to through-the-gear handle shafts, direct drive may feel a little weird at first -- backreeling is supposed to unscrew the handle.  in real-life use, you don't usually reel backwards, so much as allow the rotor to turn backwards, while limiting the rate at which it does so & there's no problem

Gulfshoresangler

Wow, I feel smart now ;). I was wondering if it was me or the reel.  When I took it part I noticed there wasn't a shaft, but didn't put two and two together.  Thanks for the help!!

Midway Tommy

You can crank a direct drive spinning reel backwards but you really have to crank it down tight in the forward motion first. Put your thumb on he rotor and turn the handle as tight as you possibly can. Don't break it, though. If you don't the handle will unscrew. Also, if you have the anti-reverse lever/button set and try to crank backwards it will allow the handle to unwind and be removed. If the crank handle is screwed on as tight as possible loosening it will be somewhat difficult and shouldn't be an ongoing problem.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gulfshoresangler

Thank you guys so much for the help!  There's a reason I've heard about Alan Tani for years ;).  I have the reel ready to go, hopefully I'll be getting t out tomorrow!!