Rookie Rod Repair

Started by tinboat, February 14, 2017, 12:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat

I am a total rod repair rookie.  A St Croix rod that I own has a damaged butt end.  I've heated the old adhesive and removed the tape and cleaned it down to the blank, but now I need to add a cork ring and something to cover the butt end.

Here's a picture of a similar St Croix grip :

My local store had some cork rings that should match okay but nothing like the classic, dark, St Croix butt end.
My questions are:

What do I use for adhesive to glue the cork to the blank? Do I need to use tape or can I glue right to the blank?

Do I use the same adhesive between the cork rings?

I have a solid cork ring to use at the very end.  May I coat it with something like resin to make it more durable?

Thanks - John

Newell Nut

Get Bit Outdoors has them. Call them quick since they are packing Wed to go to the rod builders expo in NC for the weekend.

http://www.getbitoutdoors.com/components/butt-caps/forecast-cork-composite-butt-caps.html

thorhammer

You can replace the cork with epoxy and get a plastic butt cap at Home Depot or lowes. Or I'll send you one.

If you have to have same you will need from rod building house but not durable as you know.

Reel 224

My two cents, If you want to keep the cork but original you can order a burl cork end from Mud Hole, they have many to choose from in cork or Rubberized cork which is more durable for a butt cap. I don't normally recommend Mud Hole because of there shipping charges and handling but in this case they have the best options in cork for grips and butt caps.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Dammit Dwight I forgot about the Expo and I am driving right by it Sunday. This might get expensive  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tinboat

thorhammer

I never said about glue....gorilla glue or two part epoxy will do fine.

tinboat

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 14, 2017, 03:04:01 AM
I don't normally recommend Mud Hole because of there shipping charges and handling but in this case they have the best options in cork for grips and butt caps.  

I ordered some rubberized butt caps this morning.  Hopefully they'll ship soon.

Reel 224

I hope that works out for your purpose.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."