Quicks renewed & better than ever

Started by CH, February 15, 2017, 04:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH

Well after creek testing my 110's & 110N's & Mitchells this past week since I've done maintenance to them "correctly" for the first time. I must say they preform much better than ever. And I've owned a couple of these reels 40+ years since new, so I know them well.

The approach I took was to mainly disassemble them, not every little part as this did not seem necessary for my purpose.
I then took some Ardent Reel Kleen Cleaner, which I found online and bought as it looked like some good stuff ( and it is ). Cleaned the inside of the body, gears and such, inside drag & drag washers, everywhere I could clean. Rinsed it all out good. ( removed a lot of old grease mixed with white lithium I added later to a few...I'll never use that junk in a reel again.)
I then took Penn reel grease ( blue stuff) diluted it a bit with some oil called "Reel X" and lubed the gears and other points inside and also very sparingly packed the inside of the body. I took the drag washers and very lightly lubed them with Cal's. Lubed the bail, assorted springs, handle other parts that looked like they could use a bit of oil using the Reel X oil.

Very nice and smooth now. Better than ever .They have that clock mechanism feel to them even more. And the drags are much better. Far better than dry or by using a drop of 3 in 1 or a light smear of lithium as I used in the past.

Of course I know the big pay-off is that they are now far better protected from future wear. Something most fishermen ( and fisherwomen) don't really give much of a thought to but should. I thank this forum for inspiring me to take better care of my reels and for all the great information found here.

Another thing I've accomplished is checking a lot of my reels that I bought or traded for second hand. I found missing parts and stuff added not suppose to be there and parts not assembled in the right order. Especially in drags. Tweaking these out correctly has made a huge difference of course. And all the knowledge to accomplish this was also found in this fine forum. :) ( still working on the check & repair as necessary part)

I'm also now in the process of repairing reels that have laid broken on the shelf for years. Fixed a couple already. Put one Quick 110 back into use that has been broken for about 15 years!!! Was a great feeling using that reel again after it being laid on the shelf gathering dust for so long. I even bought it a brand new rod to celebrate bringing it back from the dead. What I can't fix or don't want to fix, I'm stripping for parts and putting them up in a manner where they can be identified for possible future use.

I'll likely never take this up as a serious hobby like many here, but a little knowledge from the right folks sure goes a long way to improve my care, use & enjoyment of the fishing equipment I own.

It has however spurred me to buy even more gear. Don't know if that is good or not, LOL. But it's fun and only adds to the fun & success fishing. And someday, somebody is going to inherit a lot of really good fishing gear. A lot of it very collectable.

Now to look further into rod maintenance and restoration next ( something I have a bit more experience at).

THANKS FOLKS!

CHEERS!  ;D
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

Congratulations and well done! As my dear ol' dad has always said, "Take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you!"
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

CH glad to here about all your reels I have to admit I got hooked on all these old reels after finding this forum by chance after stumbling upon a old penn 714, I had never heard of DAM quick before until I started browsing the forum. That prompted me to buys some up on fleabay to work on.

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 15, 2017, 05:44:02 PM
CH glad to here about all your reels I have to admit I got hooked on all these old reels after finding this forum by chance after stumbling upon a old penn 714, I had never heard of DAM quick before until I started browsing the forum. That prompted me to buys some up on fleabay to work on.

I actually bought my first one ( well granny bought it for me on my birthday) when I was a kid. I was fishing for smallmouth in the Great Miami River in Dayton, Ohio and came across another fisherman doing the same. Older guy around 20, lol. I was using a Mitchell ultra light outfit & he was using a Quick 110 on a Fenwick rod and casting #0 silver Mapps with squirrel tail. He was slaying the smallmouth and bragging about his Quick reel & Mepps spinners. Long story short ( well kinda short -grin-) he let me try his outfit and I was instantly converted to being a Quick reel guy ( also sold on Fenwick & Mepps spinners). Told my grandma I wanted one and got my first one for my birthday a couple weeks later. I remember it cost about $30...a huge sum for a reel then.

Guess what? -- I still own this reel today and have caught more fish on it than I could ever remember. It's still my favorite outfit for Ultra light stream fishing with lures. It's built up some serious fish catching voodoo over the years. I may request it be buried with me when I die. :)

Never owned the Microlite made before the 110. May have to pick one up. Tried them but like the 110 more. Own a couple 110N but I think they are a tad too big compared to the 110. Great reels but I set mine up with 6 lb. and longer U.L. rods to use for jig fishing or light line fishing for bigger prey in creeks and streams like carp, cats, pike & such.

Looking to set up a 220 or 221 for a 2nd channel cat rod sometime when I run across a good one for a good price. Use a Mitchell 300 & 8lb stren for that now.

I've been back into fishing like I was as a kid now that I've semi-retired. Have stuff I could only dream about then. Eat, breath and sleep fishing (and kayaking!). Good old vintage rods & reels are an addiction hard to beat.

Spring is almost here in S. Ohio.... my posts will be rare here soon. Be migrating to Florida full time before long too!,...fishing, fishing...NON-STOP FISHING! :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

CH

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 15, 2017, 05:36:21 PM
Congratulations and well done! As my dear ol' dad has always said, "Take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you!"

Thank you & EXACTLY RIGHT!
I really take care of cars, bikes and other such stuff to the extreme...but was overlooking the fishing stuff.
But I have since learned and repented.
:)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

In agreement with all, many years ago I was introduced to the term " First Echelon maintenance " been a firm believer in the concept for keeping all my mechanical things in top working condition, take care of things right away, don't procrastinate & leave them to rot, rust and decay, they will last forever as quality made  Dam Quick reels do if simple maintenance is performed ...

handyandy

CH what area of ohio are you in now? My grandmother lived near dayton so frequented the area visiting her before she passed. I never did fish around there any of the times I would visit her before, kind of wish I had miami river looks like it would be a fun river to kayak or run the jet boat in. Might have to try and meet up for a fishing outing. I've been wanting to go over to the east end of indiana to try floating the white water river for smallies. I prefer light reels on 5'6"-6'6" depending on what I'm trying to throw. Have a few rods with 8lb test for throwing bigger lures some with 15lb braid for jigging and winter fishing when the bite is real suttle. Then also have some larger set ups for bigger cats and the occasional salt water trip. I like the tennessee style grip on that TFO rod of yours silverRidge

mo65

The Miami is a gem. I've never fished it yet...but I have buddies who kill on it. Very nice smallies are coming out of the Miami these days. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 16, 2017, 06:00:39 PM
CH what area of ohio are you in now? My grandmother lived near dayton so frequented the area visiting her before she passed. I never did fish around there any of the times I would visit her before, kind of wish I had miami river looks like it would be a fun river to kayak or run the jet boat in. Might have to try and meet up for a fishing outing. I've been wanting to go over to the east end of indiana to try floating the white water river for smallies. I prefer light reels on 5'6"-6'6" depending on what I'm trying to throw. Have a few rods with 8lb test for throwing bigger lures some with 15lb braid for jigging and winter fishing when the bite is real suttle. Then also have some larger set ups for bigger cats and the occasional salt water trip. I like the tennessee style grip on that TFO rod of yours silverRidge

LOL...I would suggest you do not try running a jet boat down the Great Miami.... at least not from Dayton north where I did most of my fishing. The Miami has everything from Sunfish to the occasional Northern Pike. Loaded with Blue cats, Smallmouth Black & White Crappie. It starts in northern Ohio at Indian Lake and mouths on the Ohio River west of Cincy. I'm mostly familiar with fishing it from Dayton to Indian Lake.

I'm in the Shawnee forest region living these days. Way out in the sticks. And I'm definitely into kayak fishing! It's all I do these days.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

CH

Quote from: mo65 on February 16, 2017, 06:44:26 PM
  The Miami is a gem. I've never fished it yet...but I have buddies who kill on it. Very nice smallies are coming out of the Miami these days. 8)
Actually the Smallmouth fishing was better back in the 80's & earlier. But all those gravel bottom rivers and streams in that part of the state are good Smallmouth streams. Lots of great wading with numerous riffles, sand bars, big rocks. Great structure. Loads of species, loads of different kinds of native minnows from shiners to suckers to chubs to shad. Crayfish out the ying yang. Far more diverse and healthy than most south central Ohio waterways IMHO.

Dayton is where 3 main rivers & a lot of major creeks come together. The Great Miami, Stillwater & Mad rivers join just above downtown. The Miami gets to be a much bigger river from there south. The Stillwater is also a great smallmouth stream as is the Mad. The Mad is also one of the best trout streams in Ohio north of Springfield.

Loads of great gravel pits to fish in that area too.

Plus you also have the Little Miami which is a National Scenic River in the area. Also known for great smallmouth fishing.

One thing I dislike about south central Ohio is the rivers and streams are not as nice. Far too much mud bottom, steep mud banks. Fishing not as good. Seems the farther you travel north in Ohio the better the streams are for quality & quantity of fish. Of course there are a few great streams and a few good lakes, just not nearly as many.

And there are some huge Blue Cats in the Ohio River & big Flatheads are easy to come by in most rivers that mouth in the Ohio.

I do however really like catching big native Tiger Muskies in certain little blue water creeks in S. Ohio. I'm sure you know where I speak of.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!..it's a secret <grin>

PS--- one of my favorite streams in south central Ohio is Paint Creek! Reckon you fish that one. :)

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

handyandy

When I say jet boat I don't mean a fiberglass runabout jet boat. It's my flat bottom 15ft welded jon I put a 60/40 jet outboard on will run really shallow. Did this for primarily fishing shallow smallmouth rivers. I love taking the yak out when I can, but lot of times I don't always have the time to float sections from access to access point that takes most of the day that and getting someone to pick me up can be a pain as well. Boat is nice for just running up stream a ways then drifting down fishing. The muskee stream your referring too is it by chance the scioto river? friend I hunt and fish with a lot now use to live in dayton he has told me about a lot the places he fished in ohio he likes muskee fishing and said that was good one.

CH

Quote from: handyandy on February 20, 2017, 05:00:10 PM
When I say jet boat I don't mean a fiberglass runabout jet boat. It's my flat bottom 15ft welded jon I put a 60/40 jet outboard on will run really shallow. Did this for primarily fishing shallow smallmouth rivers. I love taking the yak out when I can, but lot of times I don't always have the time to float sections from access to access point that takes most of the day that and getting someone to pick me up can be a pain as well. Boat is nice for just running up stream a ways then drifting down fishing. The muskee stream your referring too is it by chance the scioto river? friend I hunt and fish with a lot now use to live in dayton he has told me about a lot the places he fished in ohio he likes muskee fishing and said that was good one.

It's easy to park, get out, wade a bit... walk back to car. That lends itself pretty good to fishing the areas you speak of. 

Some "native" Muskie streams I speak of are tributaries of the Scioto. The Scioto itself not known for muskies. May find an accidental one, but most of it is mud bank, mud bottom in southern part of state. Good for catfish & white bass. Some saugeye.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted