113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Is it possible the the right side bearing may have slipped out of the cup and is stuck in the side plate?  I've seen this once.  Resulting in a spool that travels more than expected.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

The bearing assembly on the left side consists of 4 parts: the cap (with or without an oil port), an o-ring or spring to keep the cap from moving, a pressed-in retaining ring that holds the bearing in place in the cap, and the bearing itself. Have you pulled the retaining ring to let you see the bearing itself? (My thinking there is no actual bearing.) Could it be a bearing cap that should have the o-ring instead of  the spring, or vice-versa. (I honestly don't remember when the switch was made.) Check the right side, as Bryan notes, a problem with the bearing there. Stuff happens that shouldn't. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

coverhill

Again I appreciate the interest shown in helping me with my problem. Thank you all.

As it turns out Alan Tani has sent me an email that solved the problem - which was that the left side bearing cap was not turned in as far as it would go. Once that was done the slack was gone.

I have lots of reels, many Penn's, and have never had one like this one. This particular end cap is the tightest I've ever seen in 50 years. Actually had to use padded pliers to seat this particular end cap as it was impossible to seat with finger strength. I don't like to use this approach when working on any reel however.

I hope this exchange will help some future person who might experience this unusual problem. If so "use those pliers VERY carefully and DON'T force anything".

Coverhill

broadway

Glad to see you got your baby up and runnin'... now go catch some fish with it ;)
PS- the clicker side bearing on the 4/0 (black plates) and 6/0 (vintage) are actually bushings not bearings.
Dom

Capt. ahab

Do y'all remove the cover to the bearings and pack them with grease? 

Bryan Young

I used to just oil them with corrosionX.  My bottle is similar to that of reelX.  I insert to cone shaped head of the bottle in the center of the bearing while in the bearing cup.  The I squeeze the bottle until I see corrosionX coming out of the bearing and repeat several time.  If I am packing the bearings with grease (trolling applications), I use Alan's bearing packer.  It works great and you don't even need to remove the shields.  Maybe today, when I'm at Alans, I'll video a bearing, with one shield off, how well the bearing packer packs grease in.  We've been wanting to do it for some time, but just never had the chance.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

shiprec

in the first pic it seems that there are more carbon drag washers than what comes in the kit from penn parts can you clarify this. Thank you

shiprec

I have three 114hl that I would like to put new drags in and need to order the kits for. Just need to know what to order. Thank you

shiprec

never mind I reread page 2. this site is great!

Tidetime

Quote from: Tidetime on June 06, 2011, 04:05:31 PM
Finally landed some good sized fish with my 113h ebay special.  Drag worked great, nice and smooth.  I did notice a couple of things and wanted to get some opinions. 

1.) The shop overloaded the spool (IMO) and it tended to gather on one side only (handle side).  I took some line off but, haven't tried it since, anyone else have that problem?

2.) Under load it seemed to be tough to reel.  Without load its smooth and has good freespool.  I pulled the clicker side bearing and noticed some play with the inside race.  Could that be the issue? 

1. and 2.) figured out the problem, at least I think I did. The the tabs on the base of the reel were slightly bent.  This caused the reel not to be lined up with the rod properly.  After I bent the tabs as close to straight as possible and lined the reel on the rod correctly the line did not want to gather at one side.  I believe the line was piling up on one side and rubbing the inside of the handle plate, which caused the tightness as I was trying to reel in a fish. 

Capt. ahab

I've run into issues rebuilding the right sideplate of one of my reels.  It's a 114h.  I have put in 6 new HT100 washers and greased everything.  I am able to screw the bridge in and have the dog assembly not pop out.  However, when I try to put the spacing sleeve, star drag, tension springs, and handle onto the stack, I have almost no drag range.  I am only able to turn the star 1/4 of a full turn.  The reel feels "sticky" when I try to turn the handle.  I'm thinking it might be that the eared washers come unseated when I put the stack into the sideplate.  Of course i have no way of knowing because when I go back and unscrew the bridge, everything falls out and I can't see whether or not the stack was properly seated.  I have not had this issue with the other 3 reels I am working on.  Any ideas?

Alto Mare

Hello captain, when you said that you put in 6 new ht 100 washers, did you put 5 in the gear stack and 1 under the gear? Also try to  lightly grease the carbon fiber and metal washers, that should help with keeping them together during assembly
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt. ahab

5 in the stack and 1 under the gear, all greased with cal's grease. 

Alto Mare

Do you have the configuration as showing?  carbon - keyed - carbon -eared - carbon - keyed - carbon - eared - carbon - keyed -
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt. ahab

yeah the order is correct.  i've taken it apart and put it back together a few times and I think I fixed the limited range problem.  i can now turn the star close to 2 full revolutions. i'm still only getting between 15-20 lbs. of drag though, we'll see if I can tease out some more drag.  i'm surprised its so low even after adding a 6th washer under the gear.  thoughts?