113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize

Nope. New half frame schematic. As this reel was basically a gift (payment for a favor sort of) and has a Tiburon frame on it, I can only assume what it is with my limited knowledge. What I do know is that it does not have the big hole or the cover washer for the accessible drags. It seems to have all the innards of my 4/0 that I already had. I am going to pull that one apart tonight and have a look at it. I don't remember how it all goes but I know that one is right at least.
Where do you get that little custom dog spring from?

Bryan Young

Hmm, the only thin you get is more height in the stacks o your star doesn't bottom out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

spize

looking at my 4/0, there is one belleville under the star and I am guessing two () under the spacer.

spize

So never having a reel with a Tiburon frame......what I thought was some kind of pin at the top of the frame was actually a broken screw. I had wondered why there was such a short screw in the mix when I took it apart but left that to figure out later. It didn't break coming apart so whoever worked on this reel previously for my friend must have got it to stick in there with a dab of silicone or something.
So now I have a brass screw buried into that aluminum frame. Being the top screw it would seem to be absolutely essential to the integrity of the reel.
It is now flush to the frame as my attempts at grabbing onto it just resulted in destruction so I filed it down smooth. I'm thinking I need to drill it out with a reverse bit and hope for the best. I can always re-tap it for a slightly larger screw I guess.
You can see that broken screw in the pic I posted......pretty obvious to me now that it's a screw  ::)

I did get it all back together with the washers as stated above and it worked well. Great drag and great freespool.

JRD

Spize based on the stainless plate your clamp studs mount into I'm thinking that's a Penn frame, not Tiburon or Accurate.  Hard to tell since I only see that small corner of frame.  I've recently had luck with the freezing / heating and PB blaster method.  Grind a small slot in the remainder of screw, careful not to do too much cutting on the frame.  The hot and cold cycles get a little movement in the materials and the PB works it's way in there.  Finally spray it again, put in a little heat to the frame and try to turn the screw out.  I wore down the cutting wheel on my Drexel so it was a smaller diameter and wouldn't cut into the surrounding metal as much.  Good luck with it.

spize

Quote from: JRD on September 16, 2017, 04:41:39 PM
Spize based on the stainless plate your clamp studs mount into I'm thinking that's a Penn frame, not Tiburon or Accurate.  Hard to tell since I only see that small corner of frame.  I've recently had luck with the freezing / heating and PB blaster method.  Grind a small slot in the remainder of screw, careful not to do too much cutting on the frame.  The hot and cold cycles get a little movement in the materials and the PB works it's way in there.  Finally spray it again, put in a little heat to the frame and try to turn the screw out.  I wore down the cutting wheel on my Drexel so it was a smaller diameter and wouldn't cut into the surrounding metal as much.  Good luck with it.
Thanks, what you see in the pic is what was left of the screw before I tried to just twist it out with my dikes......not realizing just how soft they are. I actually just managed to chop it off to almost nothing! I had a little left and actually tried cutting a groove in it after heating it some and hitting it with some penetrant last night. It was just too small and too soft.
I managed to drill a hole right down the center and ran a tap down that hole through the remaining brass. It worked.
And yes, it's a Tiburon frame.

coralsea

no pain-no gain

RowdyW

When you go to put it all together replace these drag washers with carbon fiber drag washers. The ones that came out look like outdated Smoothies from Smoothdrag. Carbon fiber washers greased with Cal's drag grease will give you much better preformance.              Rudy

coralsea

no pain-no gain

ppvj64

Hello everyone. I just installed new 5 stack carbon fiber drags in my 114 h and a 113 hlw which are both the models that you can take handle off and change drags. I tore down both reels cleaned and greased and put back together thinking I did a great job but next came time to test drags
With scale hanging and full spools of line I tied a loop knot in line hooked to scale and with drag as tight as i could put it by hand I am only getting 8 to 10 pounds of drag. I saw that I should be getting about 20 but keep in mind I am just pulling on reels cause I have not put on a pole yet. Any and all help will be more than welcome. Thanks Pete J.    Almost forgot I have 2 other 113 h models I havent even cleaned or anything else and they are showing 18 pounds and that not even with the drag as tight as I put on the 114h and 113hlw
Pete j

PacRat

Pete,
Take your drag washers out so you can see the grooves inside your main gear. These are the grooves that your eared washer's ears go in. Some grooves don't go all the way to the bottom. When you put 5-stacks in, the ears (tabs) bottom out so you don't get contact with the bottom two friction washers and the first keyed washer. This will also damage your eared washer. With a 5-stack the eared washers need to go a little deeper into the main. If your grooves don't go all the way down, you have a couple options. If you have the tools and skills, you can extend the grooves. The other option is to get new gears with the grooves cut all the way down. I think most of the aftermarket gears are cut this way.

-Mike

PacRat

ppvj64

Thanks a lot and I remember that slot didnt go all the wat down and I move eared washers up one so they would work. Well at least I thought they would and I have the tools to do the slot but might just go stainless
Pete j

alantani

a couple of things to look at, and these are all mistakes that i have personally made.  any chance that you have braid slipping on the spool.  any chance that your digital scale is set to kilograms instead of pounds.  is the star bottoming out?  could you have a VERY old main gear with the slots for the eared metal washers not cut all the way down to the bottom of the inside of the main gear. 

yup, these are all mistakes that i've made.  :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ppvj64

Took it all apart to check and what it looks like to me is the new 5 stack drag is way lower then the stock drag which in turn will not let the star go down far enough to tighten drag. I took new drag out slapped in one of the fat stock drag pieces then stacked on the 5 stack drag and it raised it up to where stock drag was and now I am getting 18 lbs of drag. I dont know if thats the right way to do it but other then that I would say it needs a seven stack minimum. Please let me know if it sounds okay cause I do not know 1/2 of the 1/2 of knowledge you guys have plus if need be I will take apart and take as much pics as you guys need. Thanks again
Pete j