113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here's the short version.....

1. first, assemble the bridge, main gear, drag washers and all metal washers up to and including the tension spring (#8A) and set this aside. if you grease the drag washers, it will not fall apart.

2. start with a bare side plate. install the eccentric, the eccentric spring and the eccentric lever (freespool lever).

3. there are four bridge screws. two are threaded at just the tip. the clutch springs ride up and down on these. two are threaded the entire length. don't mix them up.

insert the four bridge screws.

cover two screws with your left index finger, cover two with your left middle finger. the side plate should be oriented so that the free spool lever is closest to the palm of your hand.

note that you can now flip over the site plate and play with the guts of the reel without the screws falling out. you do not need to use masking tape anymore.

4. flip the side plate over and look at the empty guts. install the clutch springs.

install the pinion gear and yoke as a unit.

install the eccentric jack.

install the bridge/main gear/drag assembly. orient the bridge plate to it's final position just to get your bearings. now rotate the bridge plate 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

install the dog.

rotate the bridge plate clockwise until it covers three of the bridge screws. now continue to rotate the bridge plate until it covers just half of the last and final bridge screw.  push the bridge down firmly against the plastic side plate. 

see the small gap??????? this is where the dog spring goes. take a deep breath. hold it. now insert the dog spring in through the gap and gently push it down into position with your index finger. be careful not to let it fly off into neverland. ok, it's in. breathe.

6. rotate the bridge plate clockwise until it lines up with the bride screws. hear the click?

cinch down each screw. check to see that the freespool lever works. check the anti-reverse mechanism. when the reel is finally assembled

you need to make sure you can get 20#'s of drag.   if not,one of the keyed metal washers is probably not seated properly. you have to do this all over again.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

i have a 114 that is in pieces. It is identical, no?

almost....

here's the dog.  now, this is important.  note how the point of the dog is not symmetrical.  the longer or "sharper" end goes against the ratchet gear for the gear sleeve.  see the difference?  get it backwards and the handle will go flying back in your hand.

and here's your dog spring.  doesn't look like much, does it.  i'll tell you, though.  i've lost dozens of those other tiny dog springs.  never lost one of these!

and here's what it looks like just before you close it up.  everything else, before and after, is the same. 

alantani

Alan, I recently bought 5 used 114H 6.0's and have rebuilt 4 successfully. For some reason one of them I continue to have problems with the anti-reverse mechanism. Getting everything back in order or so it seems but the reel goes forwards and backwards once i seem to have it assembled.. is there something u suggest i really concentrate on when putting it back together?? peter

does it click at all?

if not, first thought is that the dog is binding up.  as you are looking at the right side plate, the bridge screw that holds the dog in position is the one in the upper left.  try backing it off a quarter to half turn and see if works.

if it does click, then the dog is not catching.  make sure the dog is not upside down.  make sure you do not have damage to the dog or the ratchet part of the gear sleeve, and make sure you do not have a left handed gear sleeve.  hey, don't laugh.  it's happened before.  let me know.  alan

alantani

I am in the process of rebuilding a penn 14/0 and I had a couple of quick questions if you dont mind.

1) are the 2 gears on the spool itself supposed to have any play in  them? The reel I just took apart the 2 toothed gears move a little? Is that normal and should they be locked in place?

2) the handle had quite a bit of play in it and I was looking at the gears and they all seem to be in relatively good shape. What could be causeing this play in the handle?

3) I cannot get the actual reel bearings out from the outer shell. Is there a trick to this or do you just recommend buying complete hole bearings. If I do this, do you know if they come with the outer shell/

thanks very much

yes, what you are seeing is something called gear lash.  there is typically alot of play in these old penn gears.  the result is a fair amount of play when you move the handle forward and back.

the axial (lateral) play in the handle is from the loose gear sleeve.  this is different than gear lash.  to eliminate the play in the gear sleeve, you have to pull the pin, remove the gear sleeve and place washers underneath.  that should take care of the up and down motion of the gear sleeve. 

and finally, the bearing.  when they are badly corroded, they can be impossible to remove.  if they don't pop out easily, it might just be best to buy new ones.  alan

[/quote]

dustin.brace

If this is the short version, is there a long version?
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

No long one. All of the senator rebuild procedures are the same except for the 113HN. You can use the 111 tutorial and disregard the part about Dremelling the side plate. The common modification to all of them is to replace the fiber washer [#4] under the main gear with the appropriate HT-100 washer.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

dustin.brace

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 03, 2010, 04:08:44 AM
No long one. All of the senator rebuild procedures are the same except for the 113HN. You can use the 111 tutorial and disregard the part about Dremelling the side plate. The common modification to all of them is to replace the fiber washer [#4] under the main gear with the appropriate HT-100 washer.

Thanks, Rob! I had no idea that the teardown was the same. I managed using this tutorial but it was a bit frustrating. I think it works. This was my first teardown. I may order the replacement washers, but I don't have an appropriate rod at this point, so I will wait for now. I do appreciate the help!
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

No problem! Most of the conventional Penns operate the same way so they rebuild the same way. Go to mysticparts.com and look up the "Conventional" list under "Find the Parts". All of those reels listed are designed the same, so once you do a few, including the senators, you can do any of them.
Have fun!

Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

snookcatcher1

For this reel 113h/114h, what is a realistic drag # to expect with the 5 stack ht-100 upgrade?

Norcal Pescador

my 113h gives me 22# and my 114h gives me 26#, each just a little shy of the advertised max.
Rob

walknbob

Quote from: norcal pescador on January 15, 2011, 02:37:39 AM
my 113h gives me 22# and my 114h gives me 26#, each just a little shy of the advertised max.

How does one test the # drag? I tried to find it on the site but have not been alble to yet. Perhaps you could link me to the proper thread.

alantani

shimano makes a spring scale that goes to 20 pounds.  that's what i use.

coverley1

Hello i have the 114h reel it was sounding rough so stripped it ,cleaned it ,but now having a problem putting it back together ,what is the sequence for adding the  metal washers .as i am not getting any drag ,as i set the brake the line still comes of the reel the keyed metal washers are set properly as far as i an see,

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coverley1

Just to say thanks for your help ,all back together now .