710 Project

Started by sharkman, February 22, 2017, 07:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

A good friend came to me looking for some very specifics on a reel.  His request sparked my 710 project.  So he is into ultralite-drag and mono until he needs or wants to run braid. But he wanted it simple.  He wanted all the guess work taken out of the equation on his part, plug and go if you will. So I took the 710 and two spools.  One mono spool and one braid spool. He gave me the specific breaking strength of line he was using on mono spool.  Using the knowledge gained on this site I played with the drag ratio so that the max would only be 1/4 of breaking strength, this way he would not have to measure just put on the spool and go.  Then when he was going after something bigger pull out the braid spool that contain all metal and carbon disk. Thank everyone here for all the knowledge.

johnachak

Wow, cool, I never thought of that.
Nice!

Midway Tommy

I'm a little confused. How is the drag knob tightness manipulated to accomplish that task? Are blocks installed in the spool cavity to prevent over tightening the drag knob? If so, then how does that effect the drag weight after 40 yrds of line have been payed out.? 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sharkman

In the mono spool I reduced the number of carbon drag washer and increase the number of plastic washers.  In the braid spool I removed the plastic washer and inserted carbon drag washer. The braid spool modification is done all the time here. The idea on the mono spool was by reducing/replacing some of the carbon drags the drag would be smooth and even if you torqued the drag knob all the way down you would not exceed the drag that the mono would handle. The idea came to me after servicing some of the older smaller z series reels that utilized only plastic washers.

thorhammer

that's some nice fine tuning

Ron Jones

That's how Penn says you are supposed to use the Versa-Drag.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"