Bring Them Back

Started by Bill B, February 23, 2017, 04:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I don't think any of us could afford the price tag on a "limited run" greenie.

Manufacturers make a profit when there is great demand -- and when they can meet that demand through great volume.

For "old school" spinners -- although we think they are great -- the modern angling world does not embrace them because they are not cool looking.

Just the world we live in...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on October 13, 2017, 04:25:05 PMFor "old school" spinners -- although we think they are great -- the modern angling world does not embrace them because they are not cool looking.

Fred

I abolutely LOVE my "old-school" reliable, durable spinners over the "modern", over-priced, plastic, Chinese crap that is being sold today !

This song pretty much "sums it up" . . .

Tight Lines !

Alto Mare

The Penn 707Z.
Your 706Z sells for under $200 and it is a great price, you could sell the 707Z for $300, well worth it. I can guarantee they would fly off the shelves :).

I could feel some collectors...members or guests getting panicky  ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

I love my 712 "greenie", caught my first big fish on one when I was a young man. It was a 35lb striper from the beach. However, it is now retired and holds an honored place in my collection. The lighter & quieter modern reels with better bail springs, drags and line lay are simply a better option for actual fishing.

A re-release would be nice, but I'd rather pick up an original one in nice used condition if I wanted another.

George6308

Green or black. Z or greenie. They will be fishing when some of the newer wiz bang wonder reels are on the way to the dumpster!!

thorhammer

Hmmmm Mag 210 in 1952 peerless green. 

scrinch

Quote from: steelfishthe mini Baja Special   Cool Cool

That's the Jigmaster 99 with aluminum frame and upgraded innards? But you can make it yourself!

nelz

Quote from: George6308 on October 17, 2017, 08:34:37 PM
Green or black. Z or greenie. They will be fishing when some of the newer wiz bang wonder reels are on the way to the dumpster!!

That's for sure!

Tunanorth

Quote from: scrinch on October 17, 2017, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: steelfishthe mini Baja Special   Cool Cool

That's the Jigmaster 99 with aluminum frame and upgraded innards? But you can make it yourself!

The 99/Jigmaster hybrid is known as the "Albacore Special", and first appeared circa 1965-66 at Hermosa Tackle Box, in Hermosa Beach, CA, courtesy of the legendary Jerry Morris. Over the years, various additional upgrades appeared [including Newell spools and Tib frames], but it will always be the Albacore Special.
However, the "Baby Baja" does remain as a concept in our hearts at least.

Bill B

I give the Baby Baja a "Must Have" at least in my book....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Decker

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on October 18, 2017, 01:14:55 AM
I give the Baby Baja a "Must Have" at least in my book....Bill

X2 -- It's the "just right" reel.

wfjord

714, 714Z, 712, 710, 710z -- identical replicas, greenies and blackies.

Also Surfmaster 100.

wfjord

Quote from: foakes on October 13, 2017, 04:25:05 PM
I don't think any of us could afford the price tag on a "limited run" greenie.

Manufacturers make a profit when there is great demand -- and when they can meet that demand through great volume.

For "old school" spinners -- although we think they are great -- the modern angling world does not embrace them because they are not cool looking.

Just the world we live in...

Best,

Fred

You have a good point there. And I think that makes it better for folks like us if the majority of the fishing world prefers new reels. I get more enjoyment fishing my old reels, whether it be those I bought decades ago or the old ones I now find and restore. I've never truly retired a reel.

fishgrain

I might add Fred that possibly the modern angling world also would like to have their own unique "generation" of tackle to relate with and create memories.

For a GenX'er, fishing as a teen in the 1990's meant using Penn, if you could afford one.

In the range of $65-85 for a 320GTi / 330 If I remember was the reel of choice for NE striper fishing. And a silver series spinner for clam snouts off the bridge.

All purchased in the tackle store local to the fishery of course. (there's a concept)  ::)

Anyway point is maybe a lot of people still see the classics as "dad's reel" etc

Jay Grob

thorhammer

Jay, that's a great point. In 25 years someone will be hoarding Slammer III crosswind blocks as "classic". And they'll also have a bunch of Stella's that can't be fixed lol.