A few Microlite Spinners

Started by foakes, February 23, 2017, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Been building out basically nearly new old Mitchell's & Quicks for friends -- in between services, repairs, weather, and many other obligations.

Kind of easy for me, since I have so many New old parts.  But they still take a certain amount of tweaking, improving, and modern lubricants to tune them properly -- hopefully better than when new -- and lifetime reels.

Here are a couple of tiny Mitchell 308's -- and a couple of Quick Microlites that were finished up yesterday.

These are for one friend who just wanted to have 4 Microlite reels of good quality like he fished with when younger. 

Money invested for all 4 was about the same as one might pay for (1) modern Asian reel made of graphites, plastics, light metals, and shiny bling.

Ready to ship out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Is the Mitchell 308 the same size as the Microlite ? Was under the impression the 308 were large spinning reels ( obviously incorrect by your post ) recently acquired a Mitchell 304 or was it a Abu Garcia, need to check it, where does the model 304 sit in the realm of the 300 series, in inspecting the reel at initial purchase found it to be flimsy or shall I say doesn't feel as solidly constructed as the Dam Quick counter parts, Fred, now that I have your undivided attention  ;) please see your email, I'm in need of a Dam quick 221 if available ...

Paul

Midway Tommy

The 308 & Microlite are basically the same size reels, UL. The Mitchel 302 & 306 are larger, heavy freshwater/light saltwater, sized reels.

A 304 would be Mitchell or Garcia Mitchell (long before any ABU connection) and is considered a light sized reel. The 304 evolved from the Pecheur Ecossais "Pecos" and the La Canne a Peche "CAP" reels of the mid '30s. The reel was redesigned by Carpano and Pons (the original founders and inventors of the Mitchell reel) as the CAP. One of the early models was the CAP reel in the late '30s. It was a half bail that evolved through the '40s and eventually became the Mitchell CAP in '54 (1st full bail), then Mitchell CAP 304 in '55 and finally Garcia Mitchell 304 in '57. The Charles Garcia Corp imported and distributed Mitchell reels in US starting in the mid/late '40s. There was also a 314 which was a slightly upgraded model with a push button removable spool, adjustable handle and larger anti-reverse lever. Both models had planamatic gearing at some point, the 304 from '54-'56 and the 314 throughout it's existence. Both were discontinued around 1970. The CAP & Mitchell 304 were considered lower end reels than the 300 but were well made quality light sized reels that are very easy to maintain. That is evidenced by their longevity, many are still being used today.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

wailua boy

SilverRidge

Thank you Tommy you are also a wealth of information on all subjects relating to reels ....

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 24, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
The 308 & Microlite are basically the same size reels, UL. The Mitchel 302 & 306 are larger, heavy freshwater/light saltwater, sized reels.

A 304 would be Mitchell or Garcia Mitchell (long before any ABU connection) and is considered a light sized reel. The 304 evolved from the Pecheur Ecossais "Pecos" and the La Canne a Peche "CAP" reels of the mid '30s. The reel was redesigned by Carpano and Pons (the original founders and inventors of the Mitchell reel) as the CAP. One of the early models was the CAP reel in the late '30s. It was a half bail that evolved through the '40s and eventually became the Mitchell CAP in '54 (1st full bail), then Mitchell CAP 304 in '55 and finally Garcia Mitchell 304 in '57. The Charles Garcia Corp imported and distributed Mitchell reels in US starting in the mid/late '40s. There was also a 314 which was a slightly upgraded model with a push button removable spool, adjustable handle and larger anti-reverse lever. Both models had planamatic gearing at some point, the 304 from '54-'56 and the 314 throughout it's existence. Both were discontinued around 1970. The CAP & Mitchell 304 were considered lower end reels than the 300 but were well made quality light sized reels that are very easy to maintain. That is evidenced by their longevity, many are still being used today.    

Can't add much to what Tommy has explained -- all extremely accurate, IMO.  Tommy is a wealth of knowledge about spinners!

Like all spinners, with the exception of possibly the ABU Severan -- there is at least one or two weak links -- many have a lot more.

Weak link on the round bodies is the nylon, or hard plastic oscillater slide.  Most of the other components are simple, strong, and in many cases the same part numbers as on many of the Mitchell 300 parts.  There are some major differences, of course -- but the round bodies were quality, light, simple reels that worked well -- and still do today.

I have a couple of large crates of these reels that I will restore some day -- since I have all of the NOS parts needed to replace as new.  They include 304, 305, 304S, 314, 315, CAPs with yellow labeling, Caps with embossed raised lettering, some half bails, and some even have the pillar spools.  Do not have any 340's.

Paul, some day I will do a tutorial showing the differences between a DAM Quick and a Mitchell 300 -- interior and engineering-wise.

The Mitchell is a fantastic reel, and their marketing was stellar -- millions and millions sold worldwide.  And IMO are a better looking reel then the Quick.  Having said that, and having so much respect for the Mitchell line -- the Quicks, Penns, and Cardinal's are at least twice as durable and tough.  

I saw your email, Paul, and will respond as soon as I can -- just been swamped with many issues.

And I will get a 221 ready for you.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CH

Quote from: foakes on February 24, 2017, 06:32:10 PM

The Mitchell is a fantastic reel, and their marketing was stellar -- millions and millions sold worldwide.  And IMO are a better looking reel then the Quick.  Having said that, and having so much respect for the Mitchell line -- the Quicks, Penns, and Cardinal's are at least twice as durable and tough.  

Yep...... Mitchell marketing worked.
Seems the Quicks just were not advertised as heavily back in the day.

The marketing was likely the reason I started out with spinners using a Mitchell. Was happy with them until the day I tried my first Quick. Never looked back.
I still own a couple Mitchells. Fish them occasionally. But still use my Quicks regularly.
The Quicks are easily the better made vintage reel. Very simple & strong. Last forever even if abused.
You have to try hard to break a Quick.

Getting more heavy into trophy blue catfishing lately. So I've been looking at vintage Penn & Pflueger baitcasters since I like to have vintage to fish along with my newer stuff. I have no experience with Quick baitcasters... I heard of the Quick vintage Champion models 700 & 800. Wonder if they are up to the standards of the famous spinner line?

Cheers

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

Hey Fred, I see a couple of half bails in that second pic that might fill a couple of holes in my Pecos/Cap/Mitchell round body display. Any chance they'd be for sale?    ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 26, 2017, 07:07:51 AM
Hey Fred, I see a couple of half bails in that second pic that might fill a couple of holes in my Pecos/Cap/Mitchell round body display. Any chance they'd be for sale?    ;)

Hi Tommy --

When I get a chance, I will go through the Mitchells -- have a few hundred in crates.  Am in the process of pulling out the odd balls such as half bails, special numbers, handles, left hand versions, Caps, and such.

Always nice to find a pearl or two among the white bread Mitchells.

If there are duplicates of any of the rarer ones -- I will let you know.  I would like to display one of each of the Penns, Mitchells, Quicks, and Cardinals.  If I pass on before this gets done -- the collections will be sent to a couple of AT site members for fair dispersal among the site members.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

CH

IMHO the 110N is improved over the 110 except for 2 mistakes.

1- they did not make it so you could reverse handle sides.
2- They made the 110N a lot bigger. Really too big for an ultra light reel in my opinion.

The 110N is a smoother working reel. It has that finely made clock type of feel to it.

But I guess you gotta work with what the old reel makers left us.

Which is why I prefer the 110 for true ultra light fishing and pretty much use my 110N's for light fishing as they handle 6lb. & even 8 lb line nicely coupled with a long light action rod.

The perfect rig when you want just a tad more muscle that with an ultra light.

But I can still dream of a perfect cross between the 110 & 110N.

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted