Shimano TLD 20 upgrade

Started by juicebruiser, February 24, 2017, 04:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juicebruiser

Alan or anyone else I guess,,,
Can the single speed tld 20 be changed over to the 2 speed version easily?
thanks

alantani

unfortunately, no.  everything is totally different.  it would have been nice, though, if even just the side plates were interchangeable. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

juicebruiser

Too bad,
In that case I am ready to follow your rebuild on this reel i have. The bearings are all good with no rust. How can I buy the Extra Preload spring B , and the Quoting from the tutorial here,  "stainless steel washer that my machine shop buddy punched out for me.  this replaces the 4 layers of masking tape". And if there is a new Drag washer which does not need to be reworked.

Thanks

RowdyW

Alan has the whole kit to upgrade the TLD 20 & 25.             Rudy

juicebruiser

Whats in the kit and how do I order it.

alantani

of all the reels that we work on here, the single speed tld 20/25 is the most expensive to really do up right.  the stock canvas drag washer has gotta go.  the best replacement is the $19 carbontex drag washer from smoothdrag.com.  i also have a killer handle made up of stainless steel and delron for $43.  and then there is the extra belleville and a shim washer for the pressure, and i just send those out for free.  if you want to give this a shot, send me a pm and i'll get it shipped out to you!

akfish

If it were me, all I'd do is upgrade the drag washer. The $43 handle is great -- but you might be inclined to punch down the drag and really reef on the reel. The plastic frame won't take it. It will torque under high drag and cause the gears to misalign and get noisy very quickly -- and, of course, fry the pinion bearing. The TLD 20 is a nice reel when the drag washer is replaced with Carbiontex but it was designed to fish very light line.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

keep the drag under 18 pounds at the top of the spool and you should be fine!

OBX351

Hello, I am new to the forum but I am in need of some upgrades to my 4x TLD 20s and 25s.  We mostly fish for rockfish in and around the Chesapeake Bay.  What do you suggest?  Please feel free to PM me.  Thanks!

RowdyW

Check out previous reply #5 & place order with Alan T.       Rudy