Help Out A Noob

Started by wailua boy, February 25, 2017, 06:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I recently picked up a dam 5000 and would like to replace drag washers but am unsure where to find a suitable kit? Thanks in advance.

David Hall

Fred is the man to talk to about these reels, I'm sure he'll be along to help out as soon as he sees this post.

foakes

Hi Brandon --

Factory drags can be put back in -- they are made out of Asbestos -- work well.

Some folks prefer a felt drag as shown on the left, in the middle -- grease it with Cal's.

An upgrade is a couple of CFs -- like on the right -- replacing the drag washer -- grease them with Cal's and experiment a little until you are satisfied with thickness and operation.

The CFs are Penn 155s filed down with a bolt and nut chucked in a drill.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wailua boy

Thank you very much Fred. Is there any health concern leaving asbestos washers in place, since that was my main motivation for changing? Do you recall the drag strength of these reels? Thanks for your knowledge.

foakes

Never checked the drag strength, Brandon --

But it will work fine after you experiment a little -- since this is a metal spool, although the stack is small -- it will take upgrades well.

Asbestos is not a problem on these -- there is such a tiny, tiny amount worn off after years of use -- probably not even measureable -- and it is not pure asbestos -- it is a mix with other materials -- rendering it harmless.

Quote from the Boss a couple of years ago --

Re: How dangerous are asbestos drag washers
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »

the risk of a mesothelioma lung cancer is zero.  it's a very common question at poison control.  the asbestos fibers have to be an exact particle size that is found only with raw asbestos.  once it's mixed up with drag washer material or brake linings, then ground up, it poses no risk.  that's why you never hear of auto mechanics getting asbestos-linked cancer. ship yard workers during wwII or guys that worked in asbestos mines were a different story.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wailua boy

Thanks again Fred, you are awesome. I had a feeling the asbestos risk was very small to nonexistent but cant be too careful. I think I'll leave them(washers) in place. We are a little overly freaked out about asbestos in my family, my grandfather was diagnosed with mesothelioma, he retired from Electric Boat. 

The reel just came in yesterday, shes a little dirty but overall good shape.

foakes

Great, Brandon --

When you get a chance -- show everyone some before and after pics -- along with the insides.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

wailua boy

Definitely will. I'm still a little apprehensive about working on some of these reels(had a bad experience with a baitrunner lol), being somewhat new to repair. In my own defense, the only failures that have required repair were some anti reverse issues on some of my spinfishers and that was easy.

foakes

If you have a schematic, it is always easier --

If you do not have one -- let me know, and I will post one for the 5000.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

wailua boy

Here are a few "before" shots. So far she's only been lightly cleaned. I have noticed the reel isnt cranking quite as smooth as she could be and probably needs to be cleaned internally.

foakes

All it needs,Brandon --

Is likely a complete disassemble -- good cleaning of all parts to remove the old grease that has hardened -- reassembly with modern greases and syn oil.

The main bearing and drive train generally gets grease impacted with the old type greases.

If using in Salt Water, I would recommend Yamaha Marine grease for the gears and bearing.  Many times I will mix up a little TSI321 with the grease for a lighter formula for the main bearing.

Smooth as butter -- but protected from the Ocean as much as possible.  Then a service after each season before putting the reel away for the year.

More damage and issues arise from a reel not being cleaned properly after Salt use -- then nearly any other causes, IMO.

Nice reel!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

wailua boy

Thanks for reply Fred. Speaking of modern grease, I'm starting to have a collection of the older penn grease in blue tube and some Abu Garcia reel oil. I'm sure they are 30+ years old, should these be used or should I opt to new oil/grease.

Thanks
Brandon

sdlehr

Brandon, are you referring to the little tubes of Penn lube that came in the boxes with the reels? (Honestly I know nothing about Abu Garcia oil except that I wouldn't use it on a salt-water reel after 30 years, today's lubes have such advanced anti-corrosion chemistry things going on that there is no comparison. Up to you if you want to use it for freshwater use. Not at all sure, but I would assume that as long as it hasn't been sitting on a hot engine block or in the sun for extended periods the lubricating properties persist).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

wailua boy

Yes. They came with a lot of reels I purchased, so no idea on actual age.