Recommendations for 80lb trolling/bait rod

Started by amatare, February 25, 2017, 11:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatare

Hi -

New member / first post.  I've been going on 2-3 day trips with plan on taking that to 5 days at some point.  Looking for recommendations for an 80 lb rod (6 - 6 1/2') that can be used for trolling as well as a bait/jig stick.  I have an old penn 6/0 that I can use for trolling but will upgrade at some point (maybe a fathom 60 2 speed?)

Thanks

amatare

I should add that i was looking at the Seeker Black Steel 6460xh, but its a little out of my price range which is $300-350

conchydong

Don't be afraid to buy second hand rods. I have found some pretty good deals over the years. You will find that many Long Rangers are always upgrading to the supposedly "latest and greatest" tackle and many like new rods  enter the marketplace. 

doradoben

I guessing that you're on the west coast. If you are going to use the rod to bait fish, a XXH would be better suited for 80 lb. test. In my opinion, a 6460xh is a fast action rod that seems to work best for 60lb.

MarkT

I've certainly trolled with a 6/0 w/80# on a 6460xh on the shorter trips. Works fine. For long range and bigger fish, I use a 6460xxh.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

For all glass rods, which are less costly than composites, a Calstar West Coast WC 6460 XH or a Seeker Black Classic BSC 6460 XXH should feel very close to one another when pulling on them. When you start to look at composites is where you will spend more. Like the Seeker Black Steel G 6463 XXH which is a little over 6' or a Calstar Grafigheter GFTR 760 M or H which ever feels better to you, I like the M better for 80, are about the same rods when pulling on them. The price only goes up from there for quality composites IMO. Sure there lesser known brands that MIGHT work just as well and last as long but the above should last a lifetime if taken care of.

Like mentioned already don't be shy to look at used equipment to keep cost down. You may have to wade through some bad stuff but if you know what your looking for, the gear is well taken care of and the price is right get it.

About 4 years ago I bought a Shimano Triton Beast Master BR 1607 to use for 80 lb trolling and sometimes bait or other. This rod was made in Japan and is a older model composite. It was in like new condition but it had been fished...I think I paid $80 or $100 for the rod and IMO it was well worth it. It's a great rod and I can't be happier. That is saying a lot for me since I'm a Calstar guy ;)