Lubing an ABU 6600 D5

Started by FishDad, March 04, 2017, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

A rookie question here I know, but I am a rookie - LOL. I am repairing an ABU 6600 D5 (broken idler gear). I'm ready to put it back together after a thorough cleaning. I will be using Quantum Hot Sauce grease on the gears, & Quantum Hot Sauce oil on the bearings. My question is, how much grease should I put on the gears & how much grease on/under/around all the other parts? Any help is appreciated.

handi2

This is what I do even if its a fresh water reel.

I lightly grease inside the side plates. Lightly is just enough to leave a fingerprint. I also lightly grease everything internally. No blobs of grease needed anywhere even on the gears.

For the best freespool leave the cog wheel and levelwind system clean and oiled only.

Before putting the handle and its parts back on grease everything under the handle to help keep water out of the reel.

Also grease any threaded parts before assembly.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

One more thing: There is a good chance that the idler gear broke because the level wind seized up. Otherwise, why would the idler fail? Make certain that there is no hitches the line guide travels along the worm gear. If there is, it's almost always necessary to replace both the pawl and the worm.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

FishDad

Thanks so much to both you guys. I checked for hitches in the worm gear & there doesn't seem to be any - smooth as silk. I'll double check everything before putting it back together. I am repairing this for a friend (what better way to learn than on someone else's reel, right?) who told me if it can't be fixed he doesn't want it back. He is a striper guy, & my suspicion is he tangled with a striper too large & strong for this reel. Granted, I have not had many reels apart yet, but I was shocked by the amount of plastic parts (including the idler gear) in this one. I'm not sure it will stand up to very many big, strong fish. Thanks again....I love this forum.   

Gfish

One other thing, if this reel's a good caster, try not'n get any grease on the spool shaft where it goes through the pinion gear, some guys polish both the inside a the pinion, and the spool shaft, and then no oil either, in there.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

Yea, there are lots of plastic parts in most Ambassadeurs. But there is a reason for most of them, certainly for the idler gear. Older reels had metal idler gears and if you happened to get a finger in the way of the line guide when a big fish was pulling out line you had a pretty sore finger. The plastic idler was put in precisely so that it would fail if a finger got in the way.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

FishDad

Great info from all you guys, thanks. I probably should have included a pic of the inside of the reel....it looks like brand new, like it had been used very little. But (there's always a but, right) grease was almost nonexistent anywhere in the reel. The only grease I found was a small glob on the pinion gear & shaft. Gfish...I want to make sure I understand completely. You are saying no grease OR oil inside the pinion & no oil on the spool shaft, correct?

Gfish

Pretty much, definitely no grease on either. Some probably oil their's, but I think for the best casting, just polish with a dremal ana cotton swab, Allen T. recomends toothpaste, I use the jewelers stuff that came with my dremal kit. Sorry, gotta edit my posts, at least by reread-in 'em...
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

FishDad

Again, thanks to you all. You guys are awesome.

Gfish....Remember, I am a rookie (at reel repair that is). I don't yet have a dremel tool. I did use my drill to do the same thing, but it probably doesn't do the job as well, so I have formulated a secret plan to sneak out this weekend & get me one. Better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission, right? HA! 

Gfish

Righto, Laddie. Put that in my marrige 101 notes! The dremals best feature is speed with low torque, while with a drill it's torque at a much lower speed. I think you'll find that the cost can really be justified with this tool, in the long-run...
Gfish

FishDad

OK...another rookie question. I have partially reassembled this thing (ratchet wheel, washers & drag washers, main gear, sleeve etc.) & before I went any further, wanted to test to see if it turned smoothly. I slipped the handle on, & it does turn smoothly with almost no effort, but will not freespin with the handle on loosely. Should it?

NOTE: I did not clean out the main bearing 'cause I couldn't get it out. I don't have all the right tools for this type work yet.