Help with a Diawa Exceler 3500

Started by bouncr2, April 27, 2011, 07:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncr2

I have a Exceler 3500 that Ive had for 3 yrs now, never had a problem until recently I have a rubbing sound only when tension is put on the line roller. Any amount of tension, without any tension its a smooth as the day I bought it. Of course I clean and lube it each season but dont know why and how its started doing this. My daughter uses the reel and loves it with a 9' St Croix. I originally thought maybe she dropped it and maybe the rotor was the problem but after replacing it still the same. I took apart 3 times and put everything back together in the same order as the schematic but luck.

Thanks for any help
Larry

alantani

the rotor is the first place i look as well.  maybe paint the inside of the rotor with a little excess grease, put it back together, let it dub, pull it apart and see if you can find a spot where it rubs after all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I think your reel comes with two spools, did you try another spool? If its still doing it, another possibility might be  the spool shaft is bent. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bouncr2

Thanks Alan I will try that, you have a wonderful site I have learned alot from you and your site in the last year and thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  Yes Alto Mare I did try another spool and shaft does not look bent but thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate your input also.

bouncr2

Alan,
I tried what you said with no luck, could it be when I took it apart and cleaned it that I put something in wrong and Im not seeing it even though I took it apart and checked 3 TIMES (aggrevating). It reels so nice and smooth with no tension on that line roller. Thats why I initially thought that rotor had to be bent. Im lost, I hate to have to send this reel to you.
Larry

Alto Mare

Larry, Alan is not crazy about working on spinning reels ;D I just want to pint out one thing about the spool shaft, it needs to be examined closely, it wouldn't take much of a bend to knock it out of alignment. Don't get aggrevated, this investigating should be exciting ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jayce

Hi,

Check the spool also it might be shifting while applying load and enough to contact the rotor.
Check is there is a very significant play on the spool (like the shaft is not flushed with the spool).

I had a similar problem before.  Found out that the spool opening (where the shaft enters) was deformed cauing too much play on the spool.  Hope it helps

Roger

Did you happen to take the bail apart when you were servicing it. There's a small bearing next to the line roller and with not hearing any noise when you have no tension on it but have noise with tension. Anyhow, I'm just thinking out loud....
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

the daiwa is actually not a bad reel to work on.  i went through my father's saltist spinner and it was quick and easy.  i'd be happy to take a look.  hope you're not in a hurry.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bouncr2

Thanks for all the input I will check those things out, and Alan I am not in a big hurry so 1 more look at those things and I can send it to you. Thanks for the offer I will be in touch.  Larry