Reel Cleaners

Started by FishDad, March 05, 2017, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

I would like your opinions of Ardent Reel Kleen ? The description says it will not damage internal parts & dries clean, but leaves a protective barrier - which concerns me. What do you think?

Thanks, Dennis

Bill B

Dennis, I usually just use a freshwater rinse after a day on the saltwater, but I also do a thorough cleaning once a year. If you have read some of the service threads then you know the outsides and insides get a light coat of grease including the spool.  Beyond the rinse I have not needed a special reel cleaner. Some here have usd Salt Away with good results.  Fresh water reels only get a yearly service and a rinse if dumped in the dirt or in the water.  I have no experience with Reel Clean so I cannot comment on that product.....hope this helps....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FishDad

Thanks Bill...Yes sir, this does help - thanks for your reply. This is a freshwater reel (ain't no saltwater in Tennessee - LOL). A buddy asked me to look at it, found idler gear broken. Replaced that, & he asked me to clean & lube it. Reel insides look brand new, with almost no grease anywhere, including none on any of the gears. Most of the parts & plates in this thing are plastic, so can't use carb or brake cleaner & looking for alternative. I'm not too worried about this one, just looking to the future for when I will have to give one a good cleaning.

David Hall

Simple green works great.

Lunker Larry

The Ardent reel cleaner has a very strong odour. It works well but use it outside as it can be overwhelming.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

FishDad

Thanks David, Larry, & Bill.....since I already have some, think I'll give Simple Green a try. Appreciate you guys.

reel man

Kind of expensive, but when you're dealing with a number of plastic parts you have to be very careful with aerosol cleaners, so I use CRC Electra Motive, and it does not leave a film on the parts.

Navidad Nutcase

i have used reel kleen and found it works great to get rid of old salt corrosion and dried on kunk. I don't use the spray bottle but rather drop the piece in a container and screw a top on to keep it from evaporating because,  as mentioned here already it is expensive.

Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.