Shimano Trinidad A model 20

Started by rodent, April 28, 2011, 05:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodent

I am new to this site and have really found it useful and informative.
I need some info and feel this is probably the best site, I am thinking of buying the new Trinidad A model 20 for surfcasting here in Hawaii.  It is a very expensive reel and have read some interesting things on websites and many of them here.  Mechanically is this a good reel, have they resolved the anti-reverse pawl problems and does any one have experience using it as a surfcasting reel.  Does it cast well and stand up to some big fish.  Any comments will help and if Alan can give his insight on the mechanics of this reel I would really appreciate it, mahalo and aloha rodent.

kamuwela

hey roden im sure bryan will answer your question better then i can. you can call lance at 5oceans seven seas 843-8111 he can help you all the way

Irish Jigger

It looks a bit overkill for a surfcasting reel although I don't know how big the fish you are targeting are. There are some great surfcasting reels out there at a third of what a Trinidad A 20 would cost.  Re the anti-reverse problems, the new Trinidads are fitted with twin pawl assist stoppers which should be an improvement on the older models.

Some of the surf casters should be along soon to advise you on a suitable reel.

alantani

the schematic for the model 20 is not up on the website, but the 12 has a double dog, so the 20 most certainly has to.  it will also have greased carbon fiber drag washers.  that pretty much covers everything.  the only question is whether you want to fish an expensive reel like that i the sand or not.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rodent

thanks for the comments,  any suggestions, currently running Newell P235F and a 13'6" zziplex with 30# test line and 6 oz. sinker.  The set-up is like early 1990 vintage.  I am after the reef fish with an occasional giant trevally.  Distance is very important for me as the best bites are like a 120 yards out.  Any help is greatly appreciated, mahalo and aloha rodent.

alantani

boy, i think you'd get better distance from the newell than the trinidad!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

Quote from: alantani on April 29, 2011, 05:32:07 AM
boy, i think you'd get better distance from the newell than the trinidad!

Doubt it, the Trini A is now very popular in South Africa for surf casting and most rate it as the best casting reel ever, even better than the Trini DC or Saltigas. We abuse our reels very badly, swimming with them out to reefs and so on and Trini's can handle this treatment very well as well as sand. You should easily get 120yrds with a Trini A 20

Bryan Young

Aloha Rodent,

When you mentioned surf casting, I immediately though you were using at least 60# main, and thought, "What, a 20# class Trini to battle monsta ulua from shore?"  Now that you got me in perspective.  Trinidad As are great reels, and I know that a lot of ulua fishermen are using Trinidad.  Not the A models but normal Trinidads.  They take a beating and have held up well so far.  I say so far because I know that a lot of reels do not get serviced, so I'm not sure how long they have been in use or will continue to be in use before problems start as many of these reels go days on end doused in salt water while fishing on the cliffs.

With that said, have you tried servicing your Newell?  Opening up and cleaning the bearings, then treating it with TSI301/321, reelX, or other extremely low viscosity lubricants, and recasting to see if there is a measureable difference?

Also, if you are looking for more distance, I would switch to 20# solid spectra, splice a 65# X16 hollow blackwater splicing section (about 4 feet), then 25-50 yards of 30# mono.  The 20# solid spectra will probably snap close to 40#.  The reason for this set-up is you don't have any knots to slow down the line as it flows through the guides.  So after the mono clears, you've got reduced resistance, thereby generating greater casting distance.

I am currently working on a splicing technique that I have used, but am going down in # test to use with my whipping spinning outfits.  I currently, my main line is 8# Berkeley Fireline Crystal.  I'm splicing to a 60# hollow Izorline (cause I'm still experimenting and I got some for free), then to 15 yards 30# leader.  So far, I'm getting more than 18# force before my main 8# line is breaking.  Now, all I need is a good rod to toss 3-4 oz lures to really test this out., and a decent sized fish.  Will advise.

Any event, that is what I would try first.  You've got a good casting reel.  Why not try to make it better before spending $400.

If you need your Newell serviced with open bearings, Lois at 5 Oceans, 7 Seas has TSI321.  If you bring your open bearings in, I'm sure she will lube them for you.  And while you are there, support your local economy and buy something in exchange.

Oh, and what I forgot is that there are new rod technologies that can help you cast farther as well.  You can have a great reel, but without a great casting rod, your distance may still be limited...yeah, the list can go on and on and on.

Happy shopping.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Oh sorry, I'm assuming that you are on Oahu. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

rodent

Thanks a lot Alan, Bryan, Kamuela and Capefish this help me a lot and I feel it is best to get real personal experience. 
Alan thanks for the website, it has helped me get back into fishing.  Used your information to service my reels and now to get more ideas, just awesome. 
Capefish this is just what I was looking for, real info with real life usage. 
Bryan you have really piqued my intrest and will persue your suggestions.  I have worked with Lance to get my rods back in action and I really like the store, it's got really good stuff.  I have heard of the Blackline but don't know a thing about how it works.  This is something I know I will be reasearching and adding to my arsenel.  Having just got back into fishing after a fifteen year break it has changed quite a bit, I  really like the whole scene. Do you folks post these kind of things that you are doing, like the splicing of leaders and such, what folder is it in? thanks a lot guys, really appreciate your comments.

kamuwela

rodent we are working on that as we speak. bryan planing some tackle tip's and other resourseful info. also as you do your reel's take some pic's we would gladly post them here.
                                                               aloha                                                                              
                                                               kamu

Bryan Young

Eh Rodent,

Try checking out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hxisXjWgb8&feature=related.  Bradah Duane Fukumoto demonstrating splice connection from hollow to mono.  We do post tackle tips at http://alantani.com/index.php?board=18.0, if there are there.

We will also be creating a new website for Hawaiian Fishing based on this very concept of sharing information.  Clean language, no politics, no religion, no banter,...  Just clean and open communication.  I hope we can make this site a safe place for our keikis (children) to read and learn about Fishing in Hawaii.  Preliminary discussion are on going with Alan and Kamuwela.  Had hoped to have it up before Ahi fever began, but oh well, working on Hawaiian time.  Will try to be partially up by June.

Regarding my splice, I have to put together a tutorial and give it a name...How about Bryan Young's Splice?   ;D

Bryan

RWS

FYI on the old Trinidad reels the 12-14 reels had 6 spool brakes and the 16 and up had 4 spool brakes, Guess how many the New A Trinidad reels have ???   ZERO spool brakes !!!!! Shimano has lighted up the spool on the new A Trindad's and they say that the reel does not need any spool brakes. The only way to control casts is with the cast control knob.

CapeFish

or with your thumb, the Trini A casts really nice, I have tried one out. they just take a bit less line than the old gold series

rodent

RWS and Capefish, thank a lot that is the just want i am looking for, your info is greatly appreciated.  I am quite used to thumbing the spool to control the cast, I think the newells work without the cast control.  Thanks and aloha, rodent.