Ambassadeur 5000 C - Red

Started by FishDad, March 11, 2017, 09:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

OK guys....little help here. My brother & went fishing the other day & he pulled out his red 5000C (9903) & made a cast (freshwater). That thing screamed like a banshee! When I questioned him, he said "oh, it always does that, I just have to dunk it in the lake a few times & it quiets down", then he asked me to look at it for him. I pulled it apart yesterday & found zero lube in it anywhere. After a full cleaning & lubing, just went out to test it - still screams when you cast.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Bill B

Dennis, make sure the bearings are well oiled/lubed, the spool shaft should also have oil.....is the frame bent? Might be the spool is rubbing on the frame....read Alan's post regarding bearings to get a sense of bearing maintenance......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FishDad

Hi Bill, I tried a few tricks suggested by all the amazing folks who have helped me. Unfortunately, none of them worked (just tested again - the banshee lives on). So, I just ordered a new ball bearing & bushing for the spool. While looking at the schematic, I also discovered there seem to be a few parts (part #'s 19389-shims & 19391-bushing) missing in this reel, so I also ordered them....& a couple brake blocks for good measure. Hopefully, these parts will correct the problem.

One question for you....when you say the spool shaft should be oiled as well, where exactly? I didn't think I was supposed to oil the shaft? I will definitely look up Alan's post on bearings.

Thanks again for your help
Dennis

handi2

Try oiling the cog wheel. It makes that noise too...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

tholmes

I've found that many times, a screaming or squealing sound comes from the brakes. Pull the crank side off, and there is a race on the inside that the centrifugal brake blocks run in. If that race goes completely dry, the plastic brake blocks will "scream" like mad against the metal surface. Just make a swipe around the inside of the race with a drop of oil on a Q-tip. That should quiet it down.

Tom