penn650ss/750ss

Started by Johnj67, March 12, 2017, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnj67

HI all. I am new here and have been searching everywhere for answers, I am looking for a way to either make my reels manual or try to find a pum. I dont want to snap of 20 dollar lures trying to reach big stripers in the canal.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Johnj67 on March 12, 2017, 08:27:17 PM
HI all. I am new here and have been searching everywhere for answers, I am looking for a way to either make my reels manual or try to find a pum. I dont want to snap of 20 dollar lures trying to reach big stripers in the canal.
Welcome John.

What's a pum?

I have never had the bail come over on me on the 650SS or 750SS.  Not sure what your problem could be.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

pick up, manual.  Don't ask me why it's not MPU, which would make more sense, Bry, but that is how it's described way back for the big Mitchell's, and some Z's have that option.

I expect Fred or Lou probably know of PUM kit, probably as aftermarket, for SS if it exists.

John

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 12, 2017, 08:59:32 PM
Quote from: Johnj67 on March 12, 2017, 08:27:17 PM
Welcome John.

What's a pum?

I have never had the bail come over on me on the 650SS or 750SS.  Not sure what your problem could be.
It does happen, if you keep the line roller lined up with the bottom of the rod and just a little to the right, it will help.

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on March 12, 2017, 09:24:15 PM
John, will this help you out?

.................Lou

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-PENN-REEL-650SSM-750SSM-850SSM-ALL-STAINLESS-STEEL-/112304581830?hash=item1a25dfecc6:g:QlMAAOxyM89SbwQ4
I'm not sure that will do Lou, the part # for the bail arm on the SSM, is different than the SS, I'm thinking it wouldn't work.

John, I have a couple, I will sell you one if you really need it, the cost is $25 + shipping.
Here is a pick, these should work on the 550SS-650SS-750SS & 850SS.

As you can see it only comes with two parts, you will need to use your own roller and screw:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Johnj67

Thank you all for your help!! Sal that would be great if I could buy one , two if you are looking to get rid of them, but one will get me going!! What a great website. ;D ;D ;D

thorhammer

You've just encountered three of the best folks you'll ever meet too, in Sal, Bry and Lou.

STRIPER LOU

Sal, thanks for the correction. I wasn't quite sure.

John, that's more than kind and please add your name to the list of many others!

Best,  ..  Lou

Johnj67

Thanks guys! Sal you are the man! Payment sent!😎

Johnj67

Sal I got those PUM s. Beautiful, love them. Thank you very much!!! ;D

foakes

When you get them installed -- show everyone a pic or two, John.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Johnj67 on March 19, 2017, 12:36:15 PM
Sal I got those PUM s. Beautiful, love them. Thank you very much!!! ;D
Geat! I'm glad they made it over there.
Those will require a little getting used to, once you do, you'll never go back.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Johnj67

THANKS SAL...BE A LITTLE WHILE TIL I POST PICS, I OVER TORQUED THE BAIL ARM SCREW, GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!! :o :'( :-\ OOPS. WAITING FOR ANOTHER ONE!! DO THEY MAKE PUM KITS FOR 710/710Z. ??

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Johnj67 on March 28, 2017, 01:42:45 PM
THANKS SAL...BE A LITTLE WHILE TIL I POST PICS, I OVER TORQUED THE BAIL ARM SCREW, GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!! :o :'( :-\ OOPS. WAITING FOR ANOTHER ONE!! DO THEY MAKE PUM KITS FOR 710/710Z. ??

That's too bad! I think the only thing worse than over torquing any type of reel screw is when someone else had previously over torqued and the head pops off under a normal torque down. I've had that happen a time or two and my wife learned a few choice words even she'd never heard before.   >:(  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Johnj67 on March 28, 2017, 01:42:45 PM
John, what kind of damage? did the screw snapp? if so that could be removed, or did you damage the rotor?
Yes, the PUM for the 710 is available but not easy to find.
Here is one, i believe he has 2 available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-710-710Z-711-711Z-MACHINED-MANUAL-PICK-UP-PUM-FOR-MANUAL-FISHING-/371905400798?hash=item56974a0fde:m:mLgXbtX4z_OGntnC3OIIfaw

Sal