wavy drag washer

Started by fishhawk, March 12, 2017, 10:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

try fidling wont make such a mess, thank men informetive, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

I have removed the wavy washer on some reels without and adverse effect....BIll
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

I actually prefer the stack to ramp up fast, I can make wide adjustments with my thumb, barely moving the star. On the other hand...if I was looking for extended star travel...ramping up slow...I'd never want to loose the wave washer. I'd grind down that spacer enough to keep the wave washer in the stack.
  The biggest drag power pitfall for the Squidder is the star itself...it must be the correct #10-140 star with the recessed area to allow full travel. I've seen some where a standard #10-60 star was used and it hits the side plate collar. You can see the difference in these photos. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

Quote from: mo65 on March 14, 2017, 03:04:17 AM
I actually prefer the stack to ramp up fast, I can make wide adjustments with my thumb, barely moving the star. On the other hand...if I was looking for extended star travel...ramping up slow...I'd never want to loose the wave washer. I'd grind down that spacer enough to keep the wave washer in the stack.
  The biggest drag power pitfall for the Squidder is the star itself...it must be the correct #10-140 star with the recessed area to allow full travel. I've seen some where a standard #10-60 star was used and it hits the side plate collar. You can see the difference in these photos. 8)

Mo, in Fishawks reel he went to a fine thread gear sleeve so he can't use the 10-140 star. He is probably using a 10-505 star which doesn't have that recess in the back & the 505 star is also slightly thicker. Adam's stars are also as thick as 505 & 66 stars.         Rudy

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on March 14, 2017, 03:42:39 AM
Mo, in Fishawks reel he went to a fine thread gear sleeve so he can't use the 10-140 star. He is probably using a 10-505 star which doesn't have that recess in the back & the 505 star is also slightly thicker. Adam's stars are also as thick as 505 & 66 stars.         Rudy

That's why I mentioned the #10-140 star...so he would know why the new parts are not playing nice. This problem sounds a lot like that thread a few days ago where the Hoyt was trying to use aftermarket parts on his squidder. That collar on the side plate is a party pooper when it comes to customization! 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20520.15
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

I just want to mention if you take a look at the Squidder head plate, you would quickly learn not to to mess with it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhawk

Thanks again men! By You all's recommendations I have gone from 3/4 of a turn to 1 1/2 turns! And for a squidder that's good in my book! I would still like to see a gear sleeve just a little longer and maybe adam's stars made thinner. ???????