shimano talica 25, problem with frame screws

Started by steelfish, September 06, 2019, 01:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

have any of you guys had a problem with the frame screws of the talica reels?

the problem is that the screws keep coming lose with the boat/road vibration and while using the reel the sideplate separate from the frame, this is the 3rd time that happens to one of my friends, first time my friend just tightened the screws by himselft and continue fishing, on the 2nd time he brought the reel to me, I checked the screws and the threaded hole and everything seemed smooth and correct, so, I cleaned the reel and installed the screws with a ligh coat of grease, the guy came back like 8 months later, same problem, the sideplate got separate from the frame while figthing a fish, by this time I think there is a problem with the threaded hole/insert because its not holding the reel while is under presure by the drag.

so, have this happened to any of you on any reel before?
I dont know if add a tab of blue locktite to the screws and called it a day or search for a more "permanent" solution.
I remember Alan using a thin cooper sheet inserted in the hole and later installing the screw, I was going to use that idea but wanted to check first with you guys.

by the way, for those who might not know, the screws of the talica are really tiny compared to the size of the reel and the drag presure that is capable to reach
The Baja Guy

boon

Greasing them will make them more inclined to back out.

I dare say your friend has overtightened them the first time they had the issue, and deformed the threads. I've been fishing a 25 for a couple of years now and it's still buttoned up nice and tight. The handle arm did start to fizz but Shimano covered that under warranty and I've since upgraded to the Talica 50 handle and arm.