SHIMANO TRANX 500HG AR DOGS

Started by Cor, March 13, 2017, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

This reel has a dual dog system.   On both dogs the bottom of the two "lips" were showing some wear and were shorter then the upper ones and I decided to try and make an experimental spring loaded system with my very limited metal working tools.

Some measuring showed me that the shaft hole was the same size as that in a SL50SH dog, so that became my starting point.   Some hacksaw, file and water paper work did the rest.
Made a crude spring from some piano wire, and had to make a tiny cut with a small saw in the body where the arrow is, to fit the spring.    Had to first remove the white Idle gear.

I then fitted the parts together and it all seemed workable.    I think the different length of the two dogs may be problematic as the old one on the right does not lock, but it will if the new one fails....I think.

When initially assembling the body of the reel the new dog was not clicking, telling me that the material of the dog was to thick, which took some water paper and elbow grease to sort out. (was only 0.03mm)

I have now assembled the reel and it clicks and all seems well.    I will go fish it tomorrow.

Then again proceeded to test the drag.  First read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=509.msg227537#msg227537

where I reported on testing the ARB by pulling against the drag without the AR dogs in place.   I still got a very adequate 23.62 lb of drag.

By tightening the drag a number of times, this time with the dogs where they belong, I eventually ended up with 28.32 lb with the drag slowly letting off line, smoothly as well!   Not bad for a reel rated at 25 lb by the Manufacturer.

Cornelis

mhc

Good work on the slosh dog Cor - it's fiddly work modifying dogs by hand and easy to take too much material off, but that one looks spot on.
Just thinking about the old dog not engaging, I haven't seen inside a tranx, but would a torsional spring on the old dog help it engage without relying on backwards movement to catch the friction leaves, or lips as you call them? Something like the spring Redsetta made for his monster mariner more than a few moths ago. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8567.0
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cor

This is just the first stage and it will for sure still get modified.
That reel has very little space to work in, I first wanted to modify the right hand dog but it is very difficult as at current lenth the body gets in the way of the dog operating correctly.

"Friction leaves" sounds interesting ;) ;D
Cornelis

mhc

;D That's the problem with ambassadeur style dogs, friction can leave the friction leaves and the dogs don't bite.  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

Ever wonder about shimano engineering? Seems like they got the design thing down, but fall short on material quality. I find myself ordering too many small parts because of wear issues. In the case of of a back-up AR dog, just hadta modify my Torium by removing the "friction leaves" n' adding a spring, after reading several posts about wear/weakness problems. Now that it "clicks", waitin to see if it'll hold up, as it dosen't look like it's gonna be a tough enough system in the long-run.

Also, shimano engineering seems to use alotta parts, but again, material quality dosen't seem to be there. Perhaps saving $ & weight and selling more parts is what it's about...?

With the Tranx, 2-back-up dogs for the ARB would be a selling point to me, and those are great drag numbers.

The rachet n' dog design in my Torium though, seems almost like a "cheapened down afterthought " to compliment the ARB. Gotta say though, it's hard to beat the quality of a shimano spinning reel ARB.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Yesterday I fished the reel for about 4 hours, caught a Bonny and a Yellowtail.    Today about 1 hour (caught zero ???) and I am happy to report the reel is still ticking away happily and works perfect.    I still need to make a new spring but that does not seem urgent!
Cornelis

Leerie18

A follow-on to Cor's post above concerning the Tranx 500HG anti-reverse pawl or 'dog' (BNT2914)...

But instead of noticeable wear on the 'lips' or 'friction leaves' (as they have been referred to), one of mine broke clean off.

I was in a predicament, as I could not source the replacement parts locally. The cost of bringing them in was simply nauseating. So, remembering this post topic, the workaround solution was to duplicate Cor's innovative approach with some slight deviations.

I suppose I could have used the damaged part itself, by just removing the 'lip' material in its entirety. But, I had Shimano Speedmaster IV dogs in my spares box that I was, in all likelihood, never going to need. They were the same diameter fit, but I had to modify the length. What really was attractive about using the SMIV parts was that they had existing grooves machined vertically for their dog spring system. These proved very useful for extra purchase by the spring that was made for this quick fix.

Modification was done very crudely with an angle grinder, and then cleaned it up with a bench grinder and file. Because the modified section of the dog did not have any contact with other working parts, I did not bother beyond this i.e. with water paper. The thickness of the SMIV dog did not present any issues and I did not have to do any further work.

As a temporary solution, I made the spring from the internal spring of a cheap Bic click pen.
And away she clicked, good enough for now – thanks Cor! Let's see if this holds up to stress testing at the water before I source better quality material to upgrade the spring.

LBG addict!

Bryan Young

How did I miss this?  Wow, this is great ingenuity.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

Nice work Leon!
I used my clicking Tranx for 2 seasons, thats a lot of use, without a hitch, but then removed the modified dog.

How did you make the spring, you started with a spring from a pen, did you straighten it?    The photo does not show it clearly.

Main reason is that I never managed to perfect the spring, it was a nuisance to get it in the correct position when assembling as it tended to pull the dog skew and upward.   I used a guitar (B) string for spring!
I also managed to source 3 new dogs and just replaced one.

I keep a number of spares for this reel and if you are ever in dire need of something you may ask...... you will have to replace or pay the going price for it though as US/UK/EU is where they mostly come from.   Shimano/Normark do lately keep a few spares.
Cornelis

Leerie18

Much appreciated!

I don't think I have introduced myself by name yet on the forum or at the water, apologies.

Regards,

Iain
LBG addict!

Cor

Quote from: Leerie18 on August 28, 2019, 07:28:36 AM
Much appreciated!

I don't think I have introduced myself by name yet on the forum, apologies.

Regards,

Iain
Askies....sorry I was thinking of Capefish!
Cornelis

Leerie18

Quote from: Cor on August 28, 2019, 07:22:37 AM
How did you make the spring, you started with a spring from a pen, did you straighten it?    The photo does not show it clearly.

Yes, straightening by simply pulling the coil through thumb and forefinger repeatedly, and working the twisting out. Was left with a straight strand with a natural curve to it. Then bent, cropped and adjusted with long nose pliers to get the acceptable shape and spring tension.

It works for now, I just do not know what the material is made of, so it may corrode / rust after a while. It has been greased to mitigate this but I will pinch some guitar wire from my daughter in the mean time...
LBG addict!