Some guidance needed

Started by TongassFisher, March 13, 2017, 11:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

I'm interested in picking up a spinning reel that has good parts availability, simple to work on and service, and is durable. It will mostly be fished in salt water so the durability thing is important. Lastly it needs to be capable of right hand retrieve. I was checking out a Penn 711z on eBay but I am only seeing one to choose from. I was also recommended to look into the penn SS series as well and believe the 6500 looked like a possibility. I likes that is comes with metal body and side plate. I also looked into some of Mitchell spin reels but have not been tempted to pull the trigger on buying anything.

i would like to keep it under $100 if possible

Please advise

Thanks,

Trevor

TongassFisher

Oh and I left out an import detail. I will primarily be throwing spoons and spinners from shore along with a lighter lead/herring rig for kings and coho salmon. Again mostly all saltwater use.

Shark Hunter

Trevor,
The ss series are great reels. Problem is, parts are getting hard to find.
If I had to pick one. For your type of fishing, I would go with a 750 or 7500. JMO
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Fred could put you together a Mitchel 901 that would do the trick perfectly. If speed is needed, they have a high speed model.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

For tough salt water reels -- look at the Penn Greenies, DAM Quick Super 270, Penn SS, -- then take a tough look at the Fin Nor Lethal 100 for a reel just over $100 new.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lth10.html

For smaller reels, there are many -- but for salt water, they need to be simple and forgiving, as well as strong.

If you want old school -- I have plenty to choose from.

Lefties are a little harder, as we talked about earlier.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TongassFisher

Appreciate everyone's responses, thank you.

Still looking. I like the greenies and z series but the pickings are slim on eBay for right hand retrieve models. I'll keep looking.

Trev

Keta

You can pick up a new Penn Battle II 4000 on E-bay for less than $100 or a Conflict 4000 for around $115 and they are reversible.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Penn Clash for about $25 more than a Conflict. Very solid and simple to work on. I should have a tutorial up soon.