Saltist sideplate screw thread size

Started by mhc, March 17, 2017, 01:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Does anyone know what type of screw thread Daiwa use? I want to replace some of the stock screws on a friend's 20 - 50 size conventional saltists with stainless, the side plate screws and countersunk screws that secure the drive shaft retainer plate appear to be the same thread size but I'm not sure what type of thread it is. I took a few measurements - 2.8mm or .0110 inch and around 50 tpi or 2 threads per mm. The closest I've come up with is 6BA 2.8mm -48 tpi or UNF 4-48? I haven't found a 2.8 metric, only 2.5M and 3.0M
Thanks
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

I just measured some 3mm and 4mm screws. The 3mm averaged 2.85 and the 4mm 3.86.
I thought Daiwa only used metric screws :-\

mhc

Thanks Tiddlerbasher, that's good to know M3 are ~2.85mm. I should be able to get those locally.
Mike

mhc

The M3 screws fit the saltist frames and some of the internal screws are M3 as well, including the small countersunk screws that always seem to rust in the drive shaft retaining plate. The are readily available in 316 SS and the correct lengths - it seems too easy!  ??? ;D

Mike

handi2

To make it more confusing the Saltiga 50 uses M3 on the tail plate and a smaller sixe thread on the head plate. Something in the 2.5 range.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2019, 06:18:55 PM
To make it more confusing the Saltiga 50 uses M3 on the tail plate and a smaller sixe thread on the head plate. Something in the 2.5 range.

Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2019, 06:24:44 PM
Quote from: handi2 on April 21, 2019, 06:18:55 PM

They may look the same but they are not. I tried the M3 on the head plate and they do not fit the Saltiga. Saltist yes.
Gulf Breeze, FL