Zebco Cardinal 4 help

Started by sandbar, October 09, 2023, 12:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Good Sunday evening everyone. Slight cooling going on in Central Florida. Feels great!
I'm deep into my home painting and wood window restoration project, but for a diversion tonight I popped open a Zebco Cardinal 4 that I had purchased a while back as part of a 6 reel bundle.
The pictures aren't great but is this the head of a fastener twisted off?

PacRat

Don't worry. Those are E clips. The stud is broke on your part. It's a cheap fix once you find the parts.

PacRat

I just took a 2nd look at your photos. Clean that thing off and see if there's a groove near the tip of the stud. You might just need an E clip. Look real good in your grease. It might be hiding there.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on October 09, 2023, 12:57:30 AMThe pictures aren't great but is this the head of a fastener twisted off?

Yes, the block has come loose from the connecting link (oscillation arm).
IMG_0839.JPG
That connection is peened. You might be able to repeen it if you can find the little brass washer somewhere in the grease? It has to be loose enough to pivot. They usually wont hold very long, though. You need to get a new connecting link (#9867). Make sure you save the two e-clips (#8846) and the two small washers (#8669). 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sandbar

Thanks guys. The washer was buried in the grease. There was a NOS connecting link on EBay for $8.50 plus $4.00 freight. I only paid about $12.00 for the reel so it's well worth it to get a new part.
I'd like to to try to fix it just for the experience.
What do I use to peen something this tiny?

Midway Tommy

A light hammer. I would try to use something with a ovaled head. The main head on a ball peen hammer is slightly rounded. You could also use a punch or anything else that is domed. You need something hard, heavy & solid on the underside. You may have to use a mini file on the block so that the stud sticks up enough to peen. Also, make sure you have something tight in the hole when you peen so you don't break or deform the block. It's a tedious job, good luck! Time wise the $12.95 for a new part is cheaper.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 09, 2023, 04:04:36 PMA light hammer. I would try to use something with a ovaled head. The main head on a ball peen hammer is slightly rounded. You could also use a punch or anything else that is domed. You need something hard, heavy & solid on the underside. You may have to use a mini file on the block so that the stud sticks up enough to peen. Also, make sure you have something tight in the hole when you peen so you don't break or deform the block. It's a tedious job, good luck! Time wise the $12.95 for a new part is cheaper.  ;D

All of this is good experience,and worthwhile to learn techniques from, Steve —-

But these are expensive and capable reels —- among the best in the world.  And you have very little invested in a reel that is worth 10 times what you paid for it.

But regardless of what you have invested —- I would always
replace the entire arm and block assembly.

That would relieve me of any lingering doubts about a reel failure for one of my clients —- or myself.

Yep, it will likely work —- but I need to know it will work, period...

And this little assembly gets more use than nearly any other parts on the reel.

If you're going to use this for freshwater —- SuperLube would be my grease of choice —- instead of that red stuff slathered everywhere.

If for saltwater —- I would recommend Penn Blue , Yamaha Marine Blue, or Cal's Purple.

If for saltwater —- I would also recommend cutting the grease with about 1/3 synthetic oil as a mix.

Nice reel!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

And.....if you read my original post I stated that you can repeen it but it won't last very long.  :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Got it Tommy.
I repeened the connection and the reel is smooth as Cardinal reels are.
I will install the new part when it arrives and toss the old stuff unless it has any value.
Thank y'all for the lesson. I had never run into a connection like this.
Usually a pin or a threaded fastener.
I wonder why this method of attachment was engineered into these reels.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on October 10, 2023, 12:19:51 AMI wonder why this method of attachment was engineered into these reels.

Most likely to make them smoother and also to create a semi weak spot that would fail before the rest of the reel bound up or broke if it was continuously used beyond it's design capacities. People seem to do that a lot rather than using the appropriate size reel and equipment.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 10, 2023, 03:02:56 AM
Quote from: sandbar on October 10, 2023, 12:19:51 AMI wonder why this method of attachment was engineered into these reels.

Most likely to make them smoother and also to create a semi weak spot that would fail before the rest of the reel bound up or broke if it was continuously used beyond it's design capacities. People seem to do that a lot rather than using the appropriate size reel and equipment.   
Yeah, because it's more fun.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2023, 08:07:02 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 10, 2023, 03:02:56 AM

Yeah, because it's more fun.

One then needs to accept the repercussions of having all that extra fun.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE