cardinal 4 carbon fiber drag

Started by handyandy, March 17, 2017, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

You could try to impregnate the immediate area around hole with some type of liquid hardener. If you are careful it shouldn't effect the main drag surface area.

FYI, IHMO, Fred Eyer is a standup guy.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can send him a message through ebay to try and get a hold of him to see what he has used.

Gfish

Idea, your thoughts n' opinions please. Fabricate thin metal washers, mirror image of Cardinal 4 drag washers, then fabricate .5 mm carbon fiber washers also same shape as original drag washers, then glue one CF on each side a each metal washer. Upon installation might hav'ta leave out the round spring washer to make it fit. Also, what kinda glue would work on both metal and carbon fiber?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on March 23, 2017, 12:17:11 AM
Idea, your thoughts n' opinions please. Fabricate thin metal washers, mirror image of Cardinal 4 drag washers, then fabricate .5 mm carbon fiber washers also same shape as original drag washers, then glue one CF on each side a each metal washer. Upon installation might hav'ta leave out the round spring washer to make it fit. Also, what kinda glue would work on both metal and carbon fiber?
Gfish

Epoxy would do the trick. Gorilla (urethane) might work, too, but it oozes if you're not really careful. Remember, though, that when you laminate that thick of stock you are cutting the drag surfaces at least in half. Here's an adaptation to your idea, sandwich two of the thinnest CF stock with a thin piece of SS, bronze or brass flat sheet in the center. A guy may be able to make them thin enough to keep the original stack layout.     

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Sounds like a good idea Tommy has with the metal in between for rigidness.

Here is the glue that I use for everything -- it is "Spooky" good...

Just don't get it on your fingers -- you will lose skin in 5 seconds, as it also burns.

TAC Glue is the best ever for metal, ceramic, fiber, brick, rock, wood, almost anything.  It will melt some plastics.

It is inexpensive -- because instead of always being hard as a brick after the first use like Super Glue, emblem glue, or 2 part epoxy -- it is always liquid until it is applied to your project.  Just keep the cap on when not in use -- mine is 2 years old -- only 5% used up after perhaps 2 dozen uses.

Glass to metal, metal to metal, fiber to metal, wood to metal, rock, ceramic, pretty much whatever.

Wife needed go glue a ceramic Unicorn horn back on that the cat broke.

I sez to her -- I have some great stuff. She sez, no, Amazon sez I should use a special ceramic glue...

OK , sez I...(learned long ago to not disagree with one of HER projects).

$17 later comes a tiny tube of glue from UPS Brown truck?

She carefully glues it, with a fair amount of adult expletives -- and more expletives as it just falls right off after 10 minutes held in place.

She asked me if I still had that stupid reel glue -- I quietly handed her the bottle with a caution about its use (you get one shot -- otherwise that is where it lives -- whether you like it or not).

Two minutes later, the break is stronger than the fired ceramic body that is not broken.

I know better than to say a word -- just let it go, Fred... ;) ;) ;)

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Good job a lettin it go Fred! Havn't matured enough myself to do that, plus my wife is never wrong(in her mind) so I'd probably do the childish thing and rub it in.

Tommy I musta wrote it funny in my reply post, 'cause what you thought'a sounds like what I's tryin to convey. Unless the 0.5 mm carbon-tex glued on both sides a the fabricated metal washers would be too thick?

Fred, who carries that TAC glue, or do ya gotta order it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

swill88

Quote from: foakes on March 23, 2017, 05:44:16 AM
Sounds like a good idea Tommy has with the metal in between for rigidness.

Here is the glue that I use for everything -- it is "Spooky" good...

Just don't get it on your fingers -- you will lose skin in 5 seconds, as it also burns.

TAC Glue is the best ever for metal, ceramic, fiber, brick, rock, wood, almost anything.  It will melt some plastics.

It is inexpensive -- because instead of always being hard as a brick after the first use like Super Glue, emblem glue, or 2 part epoxy -- it is always liquid until it is applied to your project.  Just keep the cap on when not in use -- mine is 2 years old -- only 5% used up after perhaps 2 dozen uses.

Glass to metal, metal to metal, fiber to metal, wood to metal, rock, ceramic, pretty much whatever.

Wife needed go glue a ceramic Unicorn horn back on that the cat broke.

I sez to her -- I have some great stuff. She sez, no, Amazon sez I should use a special ceramic glue...

OK , sez I...(learned long ago to not disagree with one of HER projects).

$17 later comes a tiny tube of glue from UPS Brown truck?

She carefully glues it, with a fair amount of adult expletives -- and more expletives as it just falls right off after 10 minutes held in place.

She asked me if I still had that stupid reel glue -- I quietly handed her the bottle with a caution about its use (you get one shot -- otherwise that is where it lives -- whether you like it or not).

Two minutes later, the break is stronger than the fired ceramic body that is not broken.

I know better than to say a word -- just let it go, Fred... ;) ;) ;)

Best,

Fred

I've used an industrial strength CA glue for years in my carpentry called 2P10.

For glueing small parts or for use as a clamp while the wood glue sets.

Good and expensive (and it will pull your skin off if you use it like a bozo).

This Tac glue looks better and cheaper.

Bought a regular and a gel tonight. It's on sale now.

Thanks Fred.

handyandy

I wonder if just gluing two of the CF drags together would be enough if the glue would harden enough to keep the hole from rounding out like they did on my disc. I will have to get some of this tac glue. I have couple of different two part epoxy glues already. I just have to figure out a thin washer or some metal to start with for a washers between the two drag disc. I did end up using the disc I already made in a quick 221 they were just the right size so thankfully what failed in the cardinal worked in another reel just fine.

Gfish

My guess'ed be that it'ed work (2-glued together) at low to normal drag settings, but split or round out at the higher settings.
Gfish

foakes

Check out the fishing applications -- lots of folks are using it for dissimilar splices and securing rigs.

Got mine at Fred Hall a couple of years ago for $10, show special -- after seeing a few demonstrations.

On sale now for just a hair more.

On my backpacking gear and hiking boot laces, fireland gear, lines, ropes, etc.. -- I just dip the end of the line or rope about 1/2" into a bottle of TG -- pull it out quickly -- wait 3 minutes -- it is hard as a rock -- I just cut off the end clean and flush with a sharp pocket knife -- then never have a problem again trying to lace up or get frayed lines through small holes.

Got tired of always buying expensive boot or outdoor shoes laces that never seem to hold up anyway.

Went to REI, bought (2) 50' lengths of 400 lb. 1/8" utility cord for $3.  All different cool colors.  Now I have stronger and the right length laces for all of my gear -- at a fraction of the cost.

This stuff is very good, capable, and waterproof.

Best,

Fred

http://www.tacglue.com/
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

After watching Tacglue's video I'm wondering if it could be used as an impregnator around the inner edge of the oblong, or even round, holes. If it will soak in at all it should work as the say it can be sanded or drilled.

That looks like some good stuff, Fred. Maybe you could experiment a little since you have it and CF material, and let us know the outcome.  :) Hardener around the holes, if it works, would be more efficient than lamination.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

handyandy

Fred I may have to pick some of that glue up sounds like good stuff. If you use a lot of that cord Fred you outta buy a bulk spool of the military paracord I keep a big spool of it in my shop works great for replacement boot laces, tying things up, my favorite use is for replacing broken pull cords on small engines. It's one of the few ropes/cords I've found that is strong enough yet thin enough to wind sufficient amounts into a recoil starter. I'm thinking two cf drags made to fit like I did glued together at the center might do the trick.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on March 23, 2017, 06:56:50 AM
Good job a lettin it go Fred! Havn't matured enough myself to do that, plus my wife is never wrong(in her mind) so I'd probably do the childish thing and rub it in.

Tommy I musta wrote it funny in my reply post, 'cause what you thought'a sounds like what I's tryin to convey. Unless the 0.5 mm carbon-tex glued on both sides a the fabricated metal washers would be too thick?

Fred, who carries that TAC glue, or do ya gotta order it?

You didn't write it funny, I read it funny.  ::) For some reason I was thinking laminating to the original metal drag disc and that a thinner metal would give more room. Shame on my reading comp.  :-[

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Thanks, guys --

Lots of good ideas --

And, Tommy --

Next time I rebuild a Cardinal for my own use -- I'll do a little experimenting.

In the meantime, I will source a bunch of CF's from Dawn, or somewhere -- and just stock up on the smaller guys.  Don't really have time to punch my own when working on reels.  Just like to have plenty on hand.

Need a bunch of smaller ones anyway for Mitchell, Quick, ABU, Shimanos, Daiwas, and Cardinals.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

oc1

Tommy, you could try putting baking soda around the inside hole and then a drop of any cyanoacrylate (super glue), including Tac Glue.  The baking soda instantly becomes rock hard.  The hardened baking soda/super glue can be sanded, milled or shaped any way you like it.

The baking soda is also useful if you ever get too much cyanoacrylate on a project.  Dust it with baking soda and it will instantly dry.  Also great for filling cracks.  Its amazing stuff with lots of uses.
-steve