Penn Slammer lll Vs Shimano Twin power 14000

Started by rjtfd, March 18, 2017, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtfd

Looked at the compatible Penn slammer lll to the shimano Twin power 14000 does anyone have any experience with the new penn slammer lll or opinions on the 2?

Thanks

Bill B

I have no experience with either, however you will be able to get parts for the Penn for long after you are buried.  Shimano parts will probably be discontinued by the end of the year. In short, Penn has a much better reputation for parts and service than any other reel manufacturer out there. There are stories of people spending $1k on a Shimano only to find parts are unavailable by the time the warranty runs out.  JMO....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Bill you are spot on, so true, Penn any Day, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

I have both reels. The Slammer is only a few months old. The Shimano is almost one year old.

I think the Slammer is stronger built while the Shimano is more refined. The Shimano is super smooth but they both are. Both were pre serviced before use. The Shimano now has grease inside.

Both cast the same and both are well balanced on the same type rods.

The Slammer was taken out to catch Bull Redfish but was overkill. My son has used it offshore but no fish.

The Twin Power has caught a few 30lb Tuna but not much else.

If I were to buy another it would be the Slammer III. They are sealed to the max with triple seals on the pinion gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jeri

If I were to buy another it would be the Slammer III. They are sealed to the max with triple seals on the pinion gear.

I've not seen inside the Twin Power, but had a lot of Penn Slammers III in to the shop for service, they are robust, but wouldn't set too much store by the seal system. Had more than one with a gearbox full of sea water - ingress down the shaft. The only saving grace of the Penn over the Shimanos of similar construction, is that the main gears are made of brass, not zinc or aluminium.

Just what we have seen.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

exp2000

Quote from: Jeri on March 19, 2017, 07:26:56 AM
I've not seen inside the Twin Power, but had a lot of Penn Slammers III in to the shop for service, they are robust, but wouldn't set too much store by the seal system. Had more than one with a gearbox full of sea water - ingress down the shaft. The only saving grace of the Penn over the Shimanos of similar construction, is that the main gears are made of brass, not zinc or aluminium.

Jeri

Yeah, but I have to ask, Are you guys playing submarine with them?

It will probably be a long while before I see one, but looking at the schematics, I can see a spindle seal there.
~

Jeri

I have a cynical approach to all the sale literature that says just about everything to convince folks these reels are waterproof, when they aren't anywhere near that.

Sealed to slow the ingress of water - sure, but don't believe that you can forget the issue of water getting into the gearbox. Been on plenty of boats, where reels took a pounding from waves and spray, to the point of effective 'submersion'. With the growing popularity of fixed spool reels with jigging, boat spinning and general boat use, as well as surf and other applications, manufacturers are all trying to get 'their' chunk of the market - so literature accuracy is getting left a little in a dark cupboard. We've even seen examples on this board of Diawa Magseal bearing not living quite up to the reputation they are supposed to have - if you believe the literature.

Just my 2 cents, a day on one of our competition beaches might well equate to a week or a month on a wet boat, but the gears and internals will suffer the same.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Bryan Young

I love my JDM twin Drag. Not a single problem in over 25 years of use.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Jeri how many come through your shop? I didn't think they have been out that long.

I know the Penn SSV reels didnt seal too well either.

The Shimano Twinpower 14000 we use is smaller than a comparable Saragosa 14000. That's why I like it so much.

We use spinning reels for Snapper fishing when we anchor up and chum heavy. It much easier for us to use as a fly line reel.

The larger reels mentioned are used for Tuna Popping and other pelagic's.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL