Tampa Bay in May?

Started by steelhead_killer, March 19, 2017, 04:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Anyone recommend a charter out of Tampa? 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

sdlehr

Someone else, I can't remember who was talking about a South Florida group get-together on a 1.5-day out of somewhere near Tampa Bay.... I can't find the post now, but a specific boat and captain were mentioned.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Andy, they were talking about it in the Welcome section today.      Rudy

cwillis85

Thinking you are referring to a conversation myself and nick had a bit back. We did a half day on Queen fleet, queenfleet.Com. We all enjoyed ourselves but they are set up for nonexperienced folks in the sense that they park you on a reef and let you go after all the grunts you can catch, plus it was my first charter so what do I know. Lots of fun but might not be what you are looking for. I can throw the question up on one of the local forums if you let me know the type of charter you are looking for.
Chris

ReelFishingProblems

The Tampa/St Pete area AT family are looking to do a 39 hour trip on Hubbard's. Possibly May 5th. Date isn't set but we should probably book soon if we all want to go on the same trip.

Nick

sharkman

If you are looking for 1/2 or all day I would definitely recommend one of two places: Hubbards Marina or Miss Pass A Grille.  Either one of these will put you on the fish.

otownjoe

What type of trip are you looking for. Inshore or offshore and how many people. May is a great time to fish in the bay area. Lots of possibilities. Joe

steelhead_killer

Well that is a good question.  I only have 1 day before another commitment. It would be just two people.  I would love be to catch a tarpon!  As you can tell your limited experience in that area. 
><)))">

otownjoe

I don't personally know of any guides but you made a good choice. Tampa bay holds some huge tampon that time of year. Another good trophy fish in the bay is the goliath grouper. A 200 pound tarpon or 400 pound grouper makes for some nice possibilities. Joe

anglingarchitect

Glen Taylor, can put you on offshore fish or Tarpon, and is fun to fish with, great guy.

steelhead_killer

AnglerArch thanks man I appreciate it.  I sent him an email.  I will keep Hubbards in mind if this does not pan out.

Andy
><)))">

Fishy247

I worked at Hubbard's in 2001. The overnight offshore trip to the middle grounds is a pretty great trip. Another one to check out is the Viking fleet out of Tarpon Springs. They also do a 34-40 hour trip to the middle grounds. I've heard that this trip is better than the one out of Hubbard's. It's been about 10 years since then, so I'm not sure if Viking still runs there or how the trips compare otherwise, but the Viking boats are definitely nicer, amenity-wise. The Florida Fisherman III is a big catamaran, so it's fast and stable, but the bunk situation leaves a bit to be desired. Definitely not like the SOA or any of the other long range boats here. Should be a fun time with some great fishing though!

Just my 2 cents....
Mike