Shimano Cardiff 400A

Started by Archiebabe, May 02, 2011, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archiebabe

Hello All, Todays problem is with my Cardiff 400A , Which is a tidy little reel in good condition. My only problem is lack of drag pressure! javascript:void(0);Ive had the reel apart a couple of times and checked and double checked the number of drag washers , drag spring washers, key washers. They are all there but i noticed the drag washers are very shiny. Possibly impregnated with oil i guess, Any way could someone advise ~ is it just a case of buying new drag washers or upgrading (Carbontex??) them if so could you recommend a UK Supplier? Many thanks in anticipation of some advice, Cheers Nigel   

Nessie Hunter

Hi Nigel... 
First thing I would do, is check and make sure the line is not spinning on the spool.. I know that sounds basic, but it does happen especially with Braided line...

Next (and Im sure you have done this) is check a Schematic and make sure the Drag stack all the way to handle is in Order....

Third,  Get rid of those worthless Shimano Drag washers!!!  LOL   They are not very good IMHO...
Carbontex is the best, and the first & most important Upgrade I suggest for any reel...

Not sure if Dawn ships to UK???  But give her a jingle or Email!!!!
http://www.smoothdrag.com/

If she doesnt ship to U K, she may be able to get you in touch with a local Distributor or ????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Archiebabe

Much appreciated. The drag seems to have got worse over the years from what was a usable state to pretty hopeless. I will try the new drag washers.
Thanks again   

alantani

nigel, any chance that you have spectra that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Nigel, just to eliminate everything else try drying-out the drags with a rag and put them back, see if that does anything. If that works than just get yourself  a new set of drags as Nessie mentioned or try to get some more usage out of those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.