Ambassadeur 5600 AB

Started by FishDad, March 25, 2017, 03:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishDad

Help please....got a 5600 AB baitcaster (freshwater) in for repairs. Guy said the thumb bar spool release sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. After disassembly, found the link arm gouged out underneath where the pin from the thumb bar has been sliding underneath instead of pushing it in. Can't tell if this was a design flaw, or if something else is going on. Seems to me that the pin may be too short as well. Has anyone else run into anything like this? BTW, the thumb bar is not available unless you buy the entire frame.

Thought about trying to add length to the thumb bar pin, but have no idea how I would do this.

Thanks,
Dennis

People sometimes forget to hold the thumb bar up when they reassemble to allow the pin to safely re enter its frame slot and the pin gets pushed deeper into the plastic thumb bar.  I have carefully pulled them back out and epoxied them back in on C3's.  I'm not familiar with the insides of the old AB and how the anti backlash system relates to the thumb bar, if it does at all, but I suspect it it the same as in the C3's.

Keta

Off handle side and spool are different on an AB reel.

You might have to replace part #96183 Dennis.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/5600AB%200701.PDF
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FishDad

Thanks 0119....Your diagnosis seems to be exactly what had happened. I carefully pulled the pin out, put the epoxy in & reinstalled the pin with about 1/32" more pin out than what it was. After allowing required time for epoxy to set & dry, tested it. Works perfectly! My fishin buddy will be thrilled - this is his favorite reel. Many, many thanks to you & Keta for your replies.

Dennis

Quote from: FishDad on March 26, 2017, 05:35:15 AM
Thanks 0119....Your diagnosis seems to be exactly what had happened.     My fishin buddy will be thrilled - this is his favorite reel.

Good to hear!  I'd be lost without my favorite reel and it too is an Abu!