7000i C3 CT Mag re-assembly problems

Started by Sandbar33, May 03, 2011, 12:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

Have a Red 7000i C3 CT re-assembly issue. I am trying to reinstall the right side assembly but it is giving me fits with the lever. It seems it would be easier to manage if I could take the lever apart from the outer sideplate and reinstall but the parts seem to not want to come loose. I assume it is supposed to come free? Could it be that the old grease has glued it together? I want to know if it is supposed to come free before I attempt to do so. The parts I am referring to are as follows

1116138, 1116146 - 1116149

Thanks

Roger

The screw that holds the freespool lever on should unsrew. Here's a picture of the breakplate. The piece that the nut is screwed into is at 9 on that breakplate. Good Luck......

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Sandbar33

I got the screw out but the other pieces appear to be stuck to the sideplate (not the backing plate). I want to re-assemble on the backing plate. Looks like I need to soak the deal in Wd40 to loosen it up

Sandbar33

Almost forgot.....Thanks a ton for that pic......Helps me out BIGTIME

alantani

i was looking at the photo as well.  i know i've cracked open one of these reels before, but the photo is not jogging any of those brain cells like photos used to before.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sandbar33

Roger

Does the spring located at 6 o'clock float freely or does it slide over a post? Also do you have a pic with the drag gear and dog assembled as well? When I put the reel back together I noticed the lever extends to far down when I engage the freespool. Sometimes it clicks back and sometimes it doesn't so something seems awkward

Thanks!

Ellis Feibush

Quote from: Roger on May 03, 2011, 02:26:15 PM
The screw that holds the freespool lever on should unsrew. Here's a picture of the breakplate. The piece that the nut is screwed into is at 9 on that breakplate. Good Luck......

I know this an old post but I just for the first time, had to break open one of these 7000ci reels. In order to get that spring attached at 7 o'clock that activated the on and off position for free spool and non free spool engagement, is to remove the nut that holds it altogether on the outside cover in order to attach that spring at two locations. Just learned this the hard way. (my first time at breaking this fairly new reel open) The rest of the maint. service is fairly straight forward. Found this illustration after I figured it out by myself. Wish I had seen this earlier. Just a tiny bit of Shimano star drag grease on the metal washers and this reel is smooth and ready to go. 

[/q

uote]

Tile

Remove the disengaging lever screw (part 111648) and the disengaging lever (part 1116149). This will allow you to lift the side plate off. Simply push the disengaging ratchet 1 (part 1116138) out of the side plate while taking it off. This should allow you to take the sideplate off. After that clean off any crud on these parts.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Quote from: Sandbar33 on May 04, 2011, 02:07:39 PM
Roger

Does the spring located at 6 o'clock float freely or does it slide over a post? Also do you have a pic with the drag gear and dog assembled as well? When I put the reel back together I noticed the lever extends to far down when I engage the freespool. Sometimes it clicks back and sometimes it doesn't so something seems awkward

Thanks!

I'd re-check the mesh pattern on the teeth. It's been suggested and done by others, to leave ~two~ teeth 'open', instead of just one, as shown in Roger's much nicer image !!! Note to self: do not use the pocket calculator or the phone to take pics... ;D

Also: pursuant to Tile's advisory on the removal of the 1116148/1116149: Abu in many i models have used blue thread locker, on the 9mm 116148 screw. It's best to hold on to the lever as you undo, and replace, and be on watch for the clear plastic shim 1116356.
And on the inside of the sideplate, shim 1116147. 147 wants to remain stuck to the sideplate. Both these shims can be easily lost.

When it comes time to put the sideplate on the brakeplate, push the release arm 1116151 inwards, to mesh the brake plate to the sideplate.  Pic attached looking down may help as well, as regards that little "bowtie" spring, that probably flew off at the very start, when the casting lever wasn't removed first.  8)

Tile

I noticed the threadlocker on the disengaging lever screw when I took apart my Abu Garcia AG Seven. The threadlocker was removed from the inside of the disengaging gear 1 and the screw. The AG Seven is basicly the budget model of the 7000 series and 99% of its parts are the same ones used in the 7000 series.
In solid fiberglass we trust