cardinal 3 carbon fiber drag

Started by handyandy, March 29, 2017, 03:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

So I went ahead and took apart the cardinal 3 I had that was pretty rough to go through it and make new drag disc for it. The original felt type drags were shot one was almost none existent. It comes apart and goes together much the same as the cardinal 4 tommy has a great tutorial over that. The main difference is in the drag stack the drag disc don't have the elliptical hole like the cardinal 4's do. So used sedona carbon drag disc again as they are cheap and good overall size for filing down for other applications. I used the same method as I did for making the cardinal 4 drag disc in my other post. Once I got the reel cleaned up put back together the drag and reel all greased and oiled up properly the drag is as smooth as it could ever be. I still need to work on making set of disc that will work on the 4.

Gfish

Really like my Cardinal 4. Gonna try the drag washer thing too. Now waiting on some 0.5mm C-tex material(sheets) to come. No idea yet where or how to get some metal washers also 'bout 0.5mm, that I can fabricate into "eliptical" shaped base washers(meat in the sandwhich, so to speak). Another fun/learning experience project, though!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: handyandy on March 29, 2017, 03:19:58 PM
So I went ahead and took apart the cardinal 3 I had that was pretty rough to go through it and make new drag disc for it. The original felt type drags were shot one was almost none existent. It comes apart and goes together much the same as the cardinal 4 tommy has a great tutorial over that. The main difference is in the drag stack the drag disc don't have the elliptical hole like the cardinal 4's do. So used sedona carbon drag disc again as they are cheap and good overall size for filing down for other applications. I used the same method as I did for making the cardinal 4 drag disc in my other post. Once I got the reel cleaned up put back together the drag and reel all greased and oiled up properly the drag is as smooth as it could ever be. I still need to work on making set of disc that will work on the 4.

Glad it is working out for you. Yeah, the basic take down is the same for both the 3 & 4. I've always wondered why the drag arrangement differs between the 3, 4 & 6/7. I would have thought that, once they came up with one of, if not the best braking mechanisms ever designed, it would have made more sense to keep them uniform through the model sizes and just add discs & metal washers to the stacks as the braking capacities required increasing.  ??? I guess that's why I'm not an engineer.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

Tommy I don't understand why they had the differences wish the cardinal four had a set up more like the three would make creating carbon disc for the four easier.

Quote from: Gfish on March 29, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
Really like my Cardinal 4. Gonna try the drag washer thing too. Now waiting on some 0.5mm C-tex material(sheets) to come. No idea yet where or how to get some metal washers also 'bout 0.5mm, that I can fabricate into "eliptical" shaped base washers(meat in the sandwhich, so to speak). Another fun/learning experience project, though!
Gfish

Keep us posted on what you find I need to give making disc for my cardinal four another shot

Keta

Quote from: Gfish on March 29, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
.... No idea yet where or how to get some metal washers also 'bout 0.5mm, that I can fabricate into "eliptical" shaped base washers(meat in the sandwhich, so to speak).

If I had a washer I could have more cut, I am out of .020" (.508mm) SS but I have some .025 (.635mm).
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Checked my stash &could only find 0.4mm thick, eared washers that were too od & id big. Lee do you got any a the 0.635mm's that'er 16mm 'er less(0.63ins.) od x 5.0mm(0.197ins.)or less id?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain