The 501N with stainless frame & spool

Started by mhc, March 30, 2017, 06:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Thanks for all the acknowledgement guys. But this was Mike's idea from the start. I just helped him to get there. Mike deserves his Sensei status. The 3, then the 4 dog jiggy, custom stainless steel reel seats for 349's, the extra sqidder dog, are his original ideas that immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are a few others I've missed.
Mike, would love to see a shot of the jigmaster "family" you must have now. Did you ever go a "WEX" frame from Randy?
Brian, I'm certainly no machinist. I think of myself more of a "File-ist" hack. I would love to have the machines, to be able to even think of myself as being a very amateur machinist. Compared to Guys Robert Janssen, Cal Sheets etc, I don't even rate a mention.

Bryan Young

Chris, what you do with a file, I can only imagine what you could do with a lathe and mil.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Chris, I made this a well deserved sticky, the big boss is the only one able to promote members to sensei.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mhc

Quote from: Decker on March 30, 2017, 04:35:34 PM
The bar is set even higher now!   How much does the finished reel weigh?

These frames aren't light Joe, the assembled 501N without line comes in at 713 gms or 25.2 oz.
I also weighed a 501 I have with penn sideplates, stainless rings (you guessed it, made by Chris!!) and a stainless stand made from an international stand, Pro Challenger spacers & the same internal components as the 501N - it came in at 638 gms or 22.5 oz.

I didn't have a stock 501 to weigh but it would be a fair bit lighter than these.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 30, 2017, 10:45:44 PM
Thanks for all the acknowledgement guys. But this was Mike's idea from the start. I just helped him to get there. ........
Mike, would love to see a shot of the jigmaster "family" you must have now. Did you ever go a "WEX" frame from Randy?

I don't want to say you are wrong Chris, but I think you are over estimating the 'idea' part and under valuing the 'doing' part. You started making your frames before I thought a narrow 501 would be good.
I'll take a jigmaster family portrait over the weekend - your work features in a few of them & yes I did think about Randy's wide kits but no I didn't get one - I prefer narrow reels.

Mike

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Rothmar2
... think of myself as being a very amateur machinist. Compared to Robert Janssen, Cal Sheets etc, I don't even rate a mention....

Thanks, but no... not true. You have a skill set, feel and tenacity far beyond that of many machinists. Machinists are just lazy filers who depend on their machines to do the work, and sometimes limit their own capacity to that of their machine. You on the other hand do it all with will. That is truly appreciable and admirable.
Don't get me wrong; I have filed a frame or two in my time too. But I don't do it anymore. What you do makes everything I do look easy.

CapeFish

yikes you guys are incredible  ;D It's very close to building a reel from scratch, regardless of it being a Penn clone. Has anyone thought of actually designing an "Alan Tani" reel and building it? All the weak spots of the classic Penn design have basically been overcome through all the contributions on this website, pretty impressive stuff

mhc

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 30, 2017, 10:45:44 PM
Mike, would love to see a shot of the jigmaster "family" you must have now.

Here's my jigmaster 'family' portrait;

The middle 501 and 99 at back right have Rothmar SS rings & the front 501 and 501N have Rothmar SS frames.

Good point Chris, I don't think I need anymore jigmasters.  ;D

Mike

Alto Mare

all look good, but the two with the white knobs look the best! :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

There's top shelf and then there's Chris' work. He and you amaze me with your persistence on this project. You guys have it nailed down and have come up with one of the coolest reels ever made in my opinion.
Great work Chris and Mike!
Thanks for showing us how it's done,
Dom

mhc

Thanks Sal, I agree they are the stand out reels, I feel privileged to be custodian of those two frames. I can't wait to fish them, the 501 is ready to go, spooled with 50 lb braid and I'll spool the 501N with 40 lb.
Dom, thanks for including me but I'm a spectator with a few comments from the sideline.

Back to the 501N project. Chris made two narrow spools, I asked him to make a back-up spool for the 501N frame, it's unlikely it will be needed but custom width spools aren't available (normally) and the frame would be useless without a spool if the original was somehow damaged. I thought what better place to store a spare spool than in a reel and made a basic 501N frame by grinding/sanding a 30-20T stand to 1 3/8" and grinding four 349 frame posts to 1 3/8". The original mounting holes in the 30-20T stand had been filled in using a TIG.

Holes were drilled in the sides of the stand and tapped with 5-40 to accept the side plate screws.

And assembled with penn jigmaster side plates

Or, for the senator fans - a 0.5/0 Senator (They're all Penn parts, it's just that some of them have been altered a bit)  ;D

Mike

broadway

Good thought on having a spare made, or the reel would be useless as you said if a damage occurred to the spool.
Love your storage unit ;)
Dom

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

That 502 looks crazy, I'm jealous!

I mean 501N  :)