Truline rebuild

Started by droppedit, April 01, 2017, 07:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

Not sure as to where to post this but it is mainly the rod that was rebuilt. Took an old truline down to the blank and added new Aftco rollers. This one used NCP thread with spar varnish as the finish. I had major problems this time around with the varnish and ended up re-wrapping the rod a couple of times. Somehow I have to put my mind in reverse when applying the finish and think "this is not epoxy!" Hard when you've been using high build for about 30 years ;) I did end up thinning the varnish to a 50 /50 mix.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

droppedit

A few more. The last one shows how much the varnish will darken up the white thread. There is 2-3 very lite coats on all the guides.

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

coastal_dan

Thing of beauty, thanks for sharing.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Whoa, so classic and beautiful.

Hmm. Should this be under Rods or cradle?

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Excellent job, very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

It looks very nice,I think it looks better varnished. The neptuna label brings it home. Those hexagon blanks bounce around in the lathe, kinda of a pia.
Did you use 2 layers of white? Difficult color to work with especially on that hexagon. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Yeah, made some kind of funny noises while doing the under wraps. On all these dark blanks the white is a crazy color to work with. Nylon just doesn't cut it and even using CP on the NCP thread it isn't right. I've used the size A white NCP and had an awful lot of bleed thru. Finally used size D and got the results I was almost hoping for. Any NCP thread leaves a ton of fuzzies and even using a flame to singe them doesn't always work. Putting varnish over it brings out all the bumps and it will drive you nuts. Bottom line is I'm still not pleased with the varnish. I've tried many different types and smallest you can get is a quart. I think I might have enough different types to finish a canoe. I'm still looking and up to trying different ways to perfect this finish. Sometimes you just have to put it up on the shelf and go fishing ;)

Dave

Newell Nut

It turned out nice. The only NCP that I have had the fuzzy problem with is Mudhole Pro Wrap. That stuff is terrible. Fuji NOCP is the one for me.

droppedit

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 02, 2017, 01:31:15 PM
It turned out nice. The only NCP that I have had the fuzzy problem with is Mudhole Pro Wrap. That stuff is terrible. Fuji NOCP is the one for me.

I agree 100% Gudebrod was getting the same way just before they went under. I've had good luck with fishawk thread too. Like with so many other things, the quality seems to be going down while the price goes up.

Dave

Fishy247

John Vadney turned me on to Madeira thread. It's NCP, standard sewing thread for machines with no fuzzies! It comes in a million different colors and is dirt cheap. It has been an absolute joy to work with. One thing though, I'm not sure how it reacts with varnish, but if you are using standard 2-part clear coat, you need to use CP on your threads. It contains a silicon additive to help it glide through the sewing needle on the machine...REALLY not a good thing for epoxy finish!

Mike

BTW, that rebuild is SICK! I feel like I'm a little kid looking at the rods in the tackle store again. :D

Bill B

Either way, it looks outstanding  ;).....Thank you for sharing.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!