113MTL

Started by intili, April 04, 2017, 12:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 05, 2017, 04:23:59 PM
If you look through the 113MTL manual/booklet provided in the box it shows you the versa-drag options for the '114M', pretty neat.  I've heard of numbers around 50 or so.  A modern day rarity for sure.  Has anyone here actually seen one?

Edit: Thanks Tony for posting the schematic!!!

10 years ago they made the tour to all the Dealer Shows and even ICAST.  They were also field-tested.

tony

akfish

Why was the 114MTL never released?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Penn

Quote from: akfish on April 05, 2017, 05:30:46 PM
Why was the 114MTL never released?

Same reason the 113MTL was cut off after 1000 pcs, sales.  The 113MTL debuted first, the 114MTL was due to be released a year later but because of the such poor sales for the 113MTL we never debuted the 114.  

tony

Tunanorth

Go ahead, blame me!
Did not really like them, and said so on my field-test reports.
Sent them back, but now kind of wish I hadn't.
I do recall hanging out at the "New Product Showcase" at the ICAST Show with Gary Borland, and listening to the retailers comments about them, so it was not a surprise that they were unsuccessful.   

Alto Mare

They should bring them back...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 05, 2017, 10:20:26 PM
They should bring them back...

I agree with you Sal. It seems that the timing of the release of the 113MTL would have doomed it from the start.

2008 was the huge downturn in the economy and unemployment shot to 10% almost overnight. Now that things are looking up economy wise, I'd think it would be a good time to reintroduce the MTL in both 113 & 114. Just my personal opinion.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

akfish

What I liked about the 113MTL was its fundamental strength. Remember that the standard 113H of the time had a graphite frame with side plate screws that were likely to strip out the brass inserts. A stock 113H is a 50# or 60# reel; the 113MTL could be pushed well beyond that. The 113MTL was designed with braided line in mind; the stock 113H was more at home with mono.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MarkT

Realistically, the age of the 4/0 and 6/0 has ended.  Welcome to the age of the 2-speed lever drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Bringing back the 113MTL would mean it would have to compete against the 113 U S Senator. Maybe it's time for the introduction of a 114 U S Senator with improved dog system (ala Cortez system).                Rudy

Bryan Young

Quote from: MarkT on April 05, 2017, 10:55:32 PM
Realistically, the age of the 4/0 and 6/0 has ended.  Welcome to the age of the 2-speed lever drag.
I thought that too but I know people who will not fish anything else.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

It is a shame they were discontinued --

However, if they didn't sell well -- no matter how good they are -- a manufacturer cannot support a weak demand.

There is a big difference between the puttering we do -- and providing a payroll and profit margin at the end of the month.

It is a shame because we are now upgrading Senators with A/M custom parts -- and this one was already there at about half the price of our upgrades.

The thought, listening, and engineering that went into this reel -- was over the top, IMO.

Timing is everything.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Quote from: handi2 on April 04, 2017, 07:01:45 PM
Ok I'll go ahead and brag.

I have 3 still sealed in the box. I did have 5 but gave 2 to friends when I bought them.

Keith

I remember Keith!  You were going to think about one for me......hint, hint.  I didn't bug you though I thought about it.   8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

basto

Quote from: akfish on April 05, 2017, 10:46:56 PM
Remember that the standard 113H of the time had a graphite frame with side plate screws that were likely to strip out the brass inserts.

This is why I think there are so many old vintage reels around in very good condition. No aluminium and no threaded bakelite or graphite. A brass screw will chew out aluminium too.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 05, 2017, 11:50:40 PM

I have 3 still sealed in the box. I did have 5 but gave 2 to friends when I bought them.

Keith

I remember Keith!  You were going to think about one for me......hint, hint.  I didn't bug you though I thought about it.   8)

I got you covered if I ever sell one.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Quote from: handi2 on April 06, 2017, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on April 05, 2017, 11:50:40 PM

Keith

I got you covered if I ever sell one.

Keith

Ok brother Keith,  I won't mention it again.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.