113MTL

Started by intili, April 04, 2017, 12:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Quote from: Tunanorth on April 05, 2017, 10:16:26 PM
Go ahead, blame me!
Did not really like them, and said so on my field-test reports.
Sent them back, but now kind of wish I hadn't.
I do recall hanging out at the "New Product Showcase" at the ICAST Show with Gary Borland, and listening to the retailers comments about them, so it was not a surprise that they were unsuccessful.   

Interesting Steve, thanks for sharing.  Do you by chance (it being 10 years ago now) remember your pros/cons on them?

I've read over on BD that you are a fan of the idea of a Narrow/Smaller Baja style USA made reel.  Does that still hold true or do you think some of the new offerings from Penn are adequate replacements?  I really have enjoyed the 25N size reel and the seems to be similar to that desired size.

That may be slightly off-topic but we'll see where it goes...

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

fishgrain

I have seen (0) NEW 6/0 MTL's and have found NIB 113MTL at the rate of approx 1 reel every two years.

Those I sold had appreciated in value significantly from the original retail.

I would expect further increases and consider any MTL senator that is truly new to be of investment quality ... granted it can be purchased for the right price of course   ;)

machined aluminum side plates and frame, SS main, baja XL knob, forged and machined aluminum spool, double dog

this sounds to me like Penn wanted to build a production reel to address the tastes of the aftermarket hot rodding market that is so well represented on this website.

it's fun to think about why anyway, thx,

Jay

PS I like the MTL senator - but its legacy appears for now hollow to say the least (compared to say the INTL rich with history and memories)

handi2

I will tell you I where I found the 5 NIB 113MTL reels.

Right in the discount section on a website called Scott's Bait and Tackle...!!

I couldn't believe it myself and it was only a couple of years ago. Right there at Scotts where we all go all the time. I snatched up all 5 and paid as fast as I could.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishgrain

Gotta love scotts, on many counts. One of a kind.

And so are your reels, id say you did well.

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on April 06, 2017, 11:19:33 PM
I will tell you I where I found the 5 NIB 113MTL reels.

Right in the discount section on a website called Scott's Bait and Tackle...!!

I couldn't believe it myself and it was only a couple of years ago. Right there at Scotts where we all go all the time. I snatched up all 5 and paid as fast as I could.

Keith

Who'd I've thunk!? 

Before this thread I didn't even know theses reels existed.  Wonder what other bit of valuable information I have somehow missed?

Cool story.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tunanorth

Quote from: coastal_dan on April 06, 2017, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: Tunanorth on April 05, 2017, 10:16:26 PM
Go ahead, blame me!
Did not really like them, and said so on my field-test reports.
Sent them back, but now kind of wish I hadn't.
I do recall hanging out at the "New Product Showcase" at the ICAST Show with Gary Borland, and listening to the retailers comments about them, so it was not a surprise that they were unsuccessful.   

Interesting Steve, thanks for sharing.  Do you by chance (it being 10 years ago now) remember your pros/cons on them?

I've read over on BD that you are a fan of the idea of a Narrow/Smaller Baja style USA made reel.  Does that still hold true or do you think some of the new offerings from Penn are adequate replacements?  I really have enjoyed the 25N size reel and the seems to be similar to that desired size.

That may be slightly off-topic but we'll see where it goes...

The main thing I recall is that they cast very poorly in comparison with the [then] Baja Special.
I love Torque star drags personally, but the BD crowd is certainly in favor of a US Senator-type reel in the 25N or 30 size.
To me they are different enough from Fathom star drags that there is room for both, but the marketplace does not agree with me.

MarkT

If a baby Baja did exist, I think you'd find the market agreeing with the nay-sayers and not those asking for it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Donnyboat

Keith, any chance of posting a photo of your nibs, could be handy for all of us thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

I will see if one of them has the tape cut on the box. I tried to keep the "sealed".

I gave one to Pompano Joe and he ended up selling it....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

I'll drop in a couple quick photos in case Keith couldn't grab any.  This is a NIB reel...but out of the box on my shelf  ;)  Box is one shelf down though...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TDKWkU]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TDKWko]
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

That's a beast of a reel...Too bad it didnt catch on.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sharkman

I think what made the Baja and mtl fall short was they looked very similar to the regular penn senators but were double the price. Many businesses put them right beside the regular senators and to the average person all they seen was double the price.  When you get into 200-300 dollar range on conventionals the market becomes very nichey.