I wonder...

Started by swill88, April 11, 2017, 05:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I recently pulled the trigger on a surfcasting reel that's mostly "plastic"(Shimano Ultegra 14000 XTD). Took along time to consider it, as I hate non-metal components. Didn't want to spend $500-1000, and settled on shimano 'cause they seem to do comparatively well with "plastics". Thought seriously 'bout rehabin' an older reel, but then there's the casting/drag design advancements To consider. Also, there's the corrosion factor. Probably 'cause of it's "line-lay" system and spool design, I'm very pleased with the casting distance. Wasn't to pleased with some of the construction aspects when I pre-serviced it, though. Time, and hopefully a torqued down drag on big fish, will tell if it was a wise choice.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mikeysm

Here is my surf casting reel I use.

Mike

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on April 12, 2017, 02:01:07 PM
The reels I sold you are Aluminum there is a magnesium model but the ones I sold are not. Here is the link to the specs

http://japantackle.com/shimano-antaresdc.html

Mike

Thanks so much Mike...

I was about to fire up the mapp gas ???

oc1

My mistake Mike... about the magnesium I mean.  Forgot it was JDM.  

Do you use the tournament mag on that thing?
-steve

Tightlines667

This thread makes me wonder why saltwater reels composed of all different types of metals (i.e. prone to galvanic corrosion) don't use sacrificial zincs?

Just a thought.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mikeysm

Yes the mag it came with keep getting stuck and no two casts were alike. So I changed the frame and left side plate. Added stainless main gear the pinion is stainless from the factory. Carbon drags and added a larger handle and support bushing for the gear sleeve. With ceramic bearings to top it off.

mo65

Quote from: mikeysm on April 12, 2017, 02:56:26 PM
Here is my surf casting reel I use.

Mike

Mike...your surf caster looks sweet...is that a Daiwa Millionaire?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

theswimmer

Quote from: swill88 on April 12, 2017, 03:33:31 PM
Quote from: mikeysm on April 12, 2017, 02:01:07 PM
The reels I sold you are Aluminum there is a magnesium model but the ones I sold are not. Here is the link to the specs

http://japantackle.com/shimano-antaresdc.html

Mike

Thanks so much Mike...

I was about to fire up the mapp gas ???

No need for the Mapp Steve.
You can light magnesium with a strong spark.
I will show you at Edison how to start a fire in the pouring rain ,
kind of a neat trick when you are 4 miles from the car at 9000 feet elevation chasing wild trout😎
Best,
JT

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mikeysm

Yes a millionaire 7ht mag supertuned.

Mike

oc1

John, one day they will be using that galvanic action to power the on-board display screen .... just sayin' because the Antares already has the digital controller. 
-steve

mikeysm

The Antares is a small electrical generator. It creates a magnetic field around the spool shaft. The chip controls the magnetic fields strength on a curve ploted out by Shimano. That way they can modify it to improve how it performs in newer models.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 12, 2017, 09:08:58 PM
This thread makes me wonder why saltwater reels composed of all different types of metals (i.e. prone to galvanic corrosion) don't use sacrificial zincs?

Just a thought.

John

It might help some but zincs work best when submerged.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

All great info here.

All I know is at the end of this month in Baja I'll have fresh grease and corrosion X inside and out of the Antares. Mike loaded it with 12# tournament green Ande and it's on a Cousins casting rod and I'm going to use it.

steelhead_killer

Mike I have a QTC frame for my 6500 size ABU.  Did you know they are retiring and no longer going to make them?  He made some great products!

Andy
><)))">